The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Instrumentation Technician opportunity, you will have:
- High school diploma required. 2 year certification or AA degree in electronics preferred.
- 3-5 years of instrumentation experience is highly preferred. We will also consider candidates with an electrical / instrumentation degree or certification who are ready to train and launch a career.
- Strong background in electronics and microprocessor equipment.
- Experience with Control Systems for Automation.
- The ability to use power tools, air tools and hand tools.
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Strong organization and multitasking skills to ensure efficiency.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Word.
- A commitment to attendance and punctuality.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility, adaptability and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- A strong work ethic.
The position also will require exposure to adverse weather conditions and hazardous environments, as well as the physical stamina to climb tanks and work long hours in the field.Physical Demands: Frequent walking, stranding crouching and twisting required. Must be able to reach overhead, frequently squatting, kneeling, climbing, finger dexterity required. Must be able to lift light, moderate and heavy objects. Must be able to see, depth perception, full field and to distinguish colors as required in order to fix equipment. Must be able to climb heights up to 180 feet.
The RoleReporting directly to the Maintenance - I&E Supervisor, as an Instrumentation Technician, you will be responsible for instrumentation and electrical basic theory to maintain instrumentation equipment in good operating condition to ensure accuracy and timely finding.
You’ll start out every day with morning meetings where you will review work orders and get your assignments for the day. You will gather the documentation, drawings and specifications required to work your job and complete the assignment. We are committed to safety, and you will work closely with Operations to help them understand what we are working on and identify any hazards or special PPE required. You’ll spend the rest of the day working the job and closing it out. Most of the equipment you will work with will include PLCs, transmitters and instrumentation panels.
Initially, you’ll partner with other technicians to complete your OJT (on the job training) and you’ll also have a variety of other training resources on hand to get you up to speed. You’ll join an I&E team that includes about 13 other Technicians and some contractors. Our shop consists of three different trades: Electricians, Instrumentation Technicians and Analyzer Technicians. You’ll be the 6th Instrumentation Tech on the team.
More specifically, your essential job functions will be to:
- Troubleshoot and repair transmitters, to include but not limited to flow, pressure, temperature, and level transmitters.
- Calibrate and troubleshoot instrumentation.
- Solve and repair minor electrical problems.
- Install (within reasonable limitations) instrumentation equipment and services as required.
- Maintain all installed instrumentation and associated equipment and good operating condition. Responsible for compliance with all refinery environmental, health and safety standards (hotwork, cold work permit, confined space entry, lockout/tagout, personal protection equipment, Learn and use refinery material procurement and job planning process and software.
- Must be able to take call and work overtime as needed.
- Maintain PSM program documentation.
- Instruct and train helpers that may be assigned to him/her to complete a work project.
- Oversee the work of outside contractors when they are performing work within the instrumentation trade.
- Manage other duties as required.
Why Par PacificProfessional development
We know you'll bring a strong foundation of electrical / instrumentation skills, but the diversity of this role should provide opportunities to gain exposure to diverse functional areas and positions. You'll also interact with a variety of people at all levels of the refinery, and with peers throughout Par Pacific's organization.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals who love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more. Employees also get discounts on gasoline.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Pictured: At the heart of the logistics network is our refinery in Kapolei, which is the largest in the state.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be comfortable working in an environment where you'll be exposed to loud noise, heat, dust, lead, humidity and much more. You'll work on large equipment and it will be essential that you are not afraid of heights. As we've already mentioned before, safety is a top priority at Par, and we're looking for an Instrumentation Tech who is committed to promoting safety throughout every job task and assignment.
Additionally, to truly excel in this role you’ll be an expert at multitasking and well-versed at prioritizing your activities in a fast-paced environment. Priorities can shift quickly around here, and our best team members keep calm even in stressful situations. This is the type of role that we can ensure that you’ll never be bored! There will always be something different to do and a unique challenge to overcome.