The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- 3 or more years of payroll experience with mid-size to large employers with 500+ employees
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, or equivalent experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- UltiPro experience a must (or very strong experience with a complex system such as SAP)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and ability to use Excel modules at an advanced level
- Ability to work extended hours in order to meet payroll deadlines
- Experience with the integration and set-up of a new payroll system is preferred
- Knowledge of payroll practices, laws and general policies and procedures
- Experience with time management systems such as UltiPro Time Management, Kronos or related system
- Experience with data conversion and/or acquisitions a plus
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work both independent of supervision and collaboratively as a team
- Excellent communication skills when interacting with all levels of the organization
- High performer with demonstrated success in payroll and HR
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- An assertive, positive attitude
The RolePar Pacific is expanding the payroll team and you will be part of the payroll process from start to finish. You’ll be involved with everything from initiating each payroll cycle and collecting information from various systems to ensuring everything is processed through the back-end and posted to the General Ledger.
We are on Ultipro for our payroll processing, and we have both bi-weekly and semi-monthly pay cycles. With 880+ employees, we have a variety of pay structures and employee classifications, including a Union. We also have employees in several states (primarily Texas, Wyoming and Hawaii--with a few team members in South Dakota and Washington state). We’ll look to you to leverage your strong payroll experience to get a grasp of all of these nuances and complexities.
You’ll also partner with key contacts from our HR Shared Services group in Hawaii and Wyoming.
More specifically, your essential duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Take responsibility for the preparation, coordination and processing of multi-state payroll
- Coordinate receipt of time files and other information from field offices
- Interpret court documents for wage garnishment processing
- Process new hire and termination actions
- Manage restricted Stock processing
- Respond to and resolve payroll inquires and issues in a timely manner
- Handle Verification of Employment (VOE) processing
- Data entry to support payroll processing
- Tax and G/L files
- Quarter End/Year End activities
- Understand Union contracts
- Manage other duties as assigned
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific's operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It's part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Why Par PacificEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It's a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have plenty of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessYour payroll processing skills will be essential to your success in this role, but to truly excel here you'll also need excellent communication skills, a proactive spirit and the ability to take ownership over all aspects of the position.
You'll know you've found success in this role when you've met some of the following key metrics and goals:
- The ability to process payroll from beginning to end without assistance
- Built strong relationships with key stakeholders such as the General Ledger Finance team
- Implemented formal policies and procedures to document processes and improve efficiencies in the payroll process