The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this Internal Auditor opportunity you will have:
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of related internal auditing experience with a Bachelor's degree (or 4 years with a Master's degree or a PhD); or equivalent work experience.
- Public accounting experience and/or experience auditing in a SAP environment is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in audit skills.
- Proven project management skills.
- An ability to work independently and promote the internal audit group’s objectives.
- A commitment to maintaining continuing education.
- The ability to develop in-depth knowledge of critical subject matter areas and/or key business processes.
- Certification commensurate with duties (e.g. CIA or CISA) would be ideal. If you do not have certifications, Par Pacific will support your efforts to obtain them.
- Strong Excel skills and experience manipulating data.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly detail oriented and organized in your workflow
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adjust work schedule to accommodate expected and unexpected changes (i.e. month and year end, acquisitions, etc.)
Pictured: Par Pacific has invested over $95 million over the last four years to modernize, expand, and upgrade both refinery and pipeline/logistics operations in Wyoming.
Reporting to the Director of Internal Audit, as IT Auditor your mission will be to conduct internal financial and/or technical audits and risk assessments. You’ll focus your efforts on a few key data points:
- Compliance-related audits - Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX): 30-40 percent
- IT specific audits (i.e., analyzing software licenses and other strategic evaluation): 30-40 percent
- Ad-hoc project activities: 20 percent
You’ll join a talented and dedicated team that includes one Sr. Internal Auditor and the Director. You can also expect to partner with our external Auditor to coordinate work and remediate any issues.
More specifically, you will:
- Participate in audit projects as directed
- Perform audit work, special projects and participates in subject matter specialist teams
- Apply audit skills to new business areas under supervision
- Develop clear and concise written recommendations that may require some editing
- Review the suitability of internal control design, including Sarbanes Oxley requirements
- Conduct audit testing of specified area and identifies reportable issues
- Conduct audit procedures within budget and project guidelines
- Determine compliance with policies and procedures
- Draw supportable conclusion on work performed
- Conduct risk assessment of assigned department or functional area in established/required timeline
- Develop risk-based audit programs
- Determine scope of review in conjunction with audit management
- Supervise an engagement with several areas and a broad scope and lead execution of the audit process in accordance with department policy
- Participate in subject matter specialist teams and perform consulting activities
- Identify and assess key risks and controls with limited guidance
- Report drafts should be well organized and effectively communicate the nature, findings and recommendations of the audit
- Test and document technical environments for information system integrity, security, ethical use of data, accuracy and report discrepancies.
- Prepare audit plans and understand the specific issues to be evaluated.
- Facilitate work of external auditors during on-site visits and may require audit knowledge and skills in finance/accounting and/or information system operations
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific's operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It's part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Why Par PacificEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you'll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It's a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers. Prove yourself, and this role could be a great stepping-stone to other positions within the company.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the ability to bring structure and processes to our young organization. We are still building out our core processes and procedures, and someone coming from a structured background with mature processes in place could really make an impact here. With that being said, regardless of your background, it will be essential that you are open to change and ambiguity as we continue to build-out processes and refine procedures.
Our goal as a team is to work smarter, not harder--and we’ll look to you to leverage tools and technology to make this mission a reality. We are proud of our collaborative team culture where we foster teamwork, open communication and innovation.
In addition, to find success as an Internal Auditor, you will:
- Build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Dedicate yourself to learning our company, goals and processes
- Continually look for improvements
- Stretch and grow your skills, always looking for ways to progress your career and talent