The RequirementsTo be a great fit for the Lead Senior Accountant opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant progressive accounting experience, ideally including several years of general ledger accounting or corporate accounting experience
- Experience with month-end close (journal entry creation) & P&L accounting
- Solid experience with cost center accounting (e.g. review of POs, budget versus actual reporting, forecasting, etc.)
- Experience with SAP
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, PowerPoint and intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel (e.g. complex/compound spreadsheets; VLOOKUPs, HLOOKUPs, pivot tables, etc.)
- Some indirect or direct supervisory experience
- Ability to adapt to dynamic work environment
- Effective project management skills
- A combination of public accounting and private industry experience
- Basic understanding of asset capitalization criteria under US GAAP
- Prior experience with cost center management highly preferred
- Basic understanding of share-based compensation accounting under US GAAP considered a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly detail oriented and organized in your workflow
- Fluency in English communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adjust work schedule to accommodate expected and unexpected changes (i.e. month and year end, acquisitions, etc.)
Pictured: Par Pacific has invested over $95 million over the last four years to modernize, expand, and upgrade both refinery and pipeline/logistics operations in Wyoming.
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to and assisting the Accounting Manager, as Lead Senior Accountant, you will be responsible for the day-to-day, monthly and year-end accounting close process for the company's corporate business. You will also take a big picture view of finance operations to identify and suggest ways to improve workflow and efficiencies.
Some of your specific tasks will include:
- Preparing and posting journal entries during each month-end close for several business processes including other assets, other liabilities, Corporate fixed assets, share-based compensation and month-end accruals.
- Ensuring that journal entries are properly coded and evidenced by supporting documentation.
- Preparing accounting review of Authorization for Expenditure (AFE) for Corporate businesses and coordinating the recording of AFEs in SAP.
- Responsibility for cost center management for Corporate business, which includes preparing bi-monthly cost center reports, preparation of budget versus actual analyses, and working directly with cost center owners to ensure that costs are appropriately captured in the financial statements.
- Preparing daily, weekly and monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for business processes outlined. Ensuring transactions that comprise balances are clearly identified and supported, and that monthly activity is identified and is appropriate given the nature of the account.
- Collaborating with the Accounting Manager to provide high-level explanations on financial statement variances for the current month, and current quarter, where applicable.
- Maintaining compliance with SOX and recommending improvements to allow for increased financial accuracy/streamlined processes.
- Providing assistance with internal and external audit requests.
- Preparing various ad hoc reports and statements as requested.
- Assisting with various ongoing projects as necessary.
- Providing schedules to the external auditors as requested.
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific's operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It's part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you'll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It's a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessYour accounting knowledge will naturally be essential, but an upbeat attitude with the ability to manage an extensive scope of responsibilities will also be key to your success. This is a great role if you don't want to do the same thing every day, but are keenly aware of deadlines and responsibilities.
This is a role that is both tactical and strategic. We're looking for a senior accountant who will not only drive their own responsibilities but who can also impact the team as a whole -- someone with the vision and motivation to create efficiencies. In addition, to find success as the Lead Senior Accountant, you will:
- Build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Dedicate yourself to learning our company, goals and processes
- Continually look for improvements
- Stretch and grow your skills, always looking for ways to progress your career and talent