The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- At least 6 months to a year of experience with loading and unloading large trucks and trailers
- Previous experience of tank transfers and loading rack operation in a refinery environment preferred
- Strong math skills including the ability to work with percentages, convert fractions to decimals, etc.
- The ability to communicate well with co-workers, outside contractors and all supervisory personnel
- The ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Strong organization and multitasking skills to ensure efficiency
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Word
- Fluent in English, both oral and written required
- A commitment to attendance and punctuality
- A strong work ethic
The position also will require exposure to adverse weather conditions and hazardous environments, as well as the physical stamina to climb tanks and work long hours in the field. You'll also need to wear personal protective equipment, which we'll provide. Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleReporting to the Shift Supervisor, as a Pumper, you will oversee and execute all tank transfers of product throughout the refinery, while also monitoring and helping to troubleshoot all truck loading racks. We have approximately 60 tanks at this facility, and you’ll join a team of four full-time Pumpers and four part-time relief Pumpers.
We operate a product pipeline and crude oil pipeline, and you’ll help monitor the tanks coming down the pipeline. We also load military / government grade jet fuel. As you can tell, this job offers a lot of variety and the opportunity to expand your mechanical skills as well as your technical knowledge. We are transitioning all of our documentation and gauging to a computer system so eventually everything will be documented online and not via pen and paper.
To summarize this role, you will really serve as the eyes and ears of this facility. You’ll report incidents, keep an eye out for any suspicious activities and ensure safety is always a top priority. You’ll always need to be aware of your surroundings, including the weather and atmospheric conditions (it can get very windy, for example), so you can ensure successful and safe operations.
More specifically, you will:
- Ensure refinery environmental and safety compliance by following applicable rules, procedures and policies
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment
- Monitor, clean and replace filters on product and equipment as necessary
- Responsible for housekeeping of tank farm areas and loading docks
- Monitor levels in all product and chemical tanks
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, storage tank used, gauge readings and time
- Inspect valves, flanges, manifolds throughout the piping system and tightens connections using hand tools
- Climb and sample tanks when needed for lab analysis
- Open and close transfer valves for product transfer
- Assist in the loading and unloading of trucks carrying product, materials or chemicals for the operation of the refinery
- Weigh trucks in and out of the Refinery at our scale location.
- Close out the loading docks each night at midnight when on the 10p.m.-6a.m. shift
- Ensure cleanliness of the vehicles assigned to the Pumpers, these include a pickup and a UTV (Utility Task Vehicle or Side By Side)
- Observe all Safety Rules associated with the hazards located in and around the process units
- Wear all PPE (personal protective equipment) that is required by OSHA
- Follow all plant Safety Rules and Regulations
- Generate work orders for general maintenance requirements and prepare equipment as required for maintenance personnel
- Perform other duties as assigned
Why Par PacificEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
Autonomy and support
You'll work independently, but you'll share know-how and ideas with the other Pumpers as well as other employees in the organization and out in the field. Help is always just a phone call or email away.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers. We are committed to helping our employees learn and grow. Prove yourself in this role and you could take the next step into an Operator role. The sky is the limit at Par Pacific!
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great place to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive wage, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans including a 401k with company match; employee assistance programs; and more. In addition, we provide safety glasses, Nomex flame resistant coveralls, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, hard hats and respirators.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessThe two most essential components to success in this role will be your flexibility and mobility. Because you’ll be covering a 50 acre facility and climbing tanks, it will be essential that you can get around quickly and efficiently—whether you are on foot or driving a vehicle.
Additionally, to truly excel in this role you’ll be an expert at multitasking and well-versed at prioritizing your activities in a fast-paced environment. Priorities can shift quickly around here, and it won’t be uncommon that you’ll need to drop what you are doing to handle another more time sensitive task that comes your way. This is the type of role that we can ensure that you’ll never be bored! There will always be something different to do and a unique challenge to overcome.