The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the CDL Vac Truck Driver opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent
- A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Hazmat endorsement required; must be licensed to drive a standard transmission; tanker endorsement is a plus
- At least a year of experience as a CDL carrier/professional truck driver; petroleum industry experience desired
- General mechanical knowledge and skills to help with maintenance as time allows; maintenance experience is a plus
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
- A strong commitment to safety and environmental guidelines
- The ability to lift 60 pounds
- 20/40 vision or better, depth perception, full field; the ability to distinguish colors as required to perform duties
- Flexibility and dependability; the ability to work outside of your assigned shift, including weekends, holidays and evenings, as required
- Solid communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with team members throughout our organization
- Strong organization, prioritization and problem-solving skills; the ability to work well with deadlines
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and with situations that involve customers, operations and emergencies
- Self-discipline; the ability to work independently and as a strong member of the Maintenance Team
- A sense of urgency
The position will require exposure to adverse weather conditions and hazardous environments, as well as the physical stamina to climb, squat, lift, stand etc. You'll also need to wear personal protective equipment, which we will provide, including safety glasses, flame resistant clothing, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, and a hard hat. We also provide respirators.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific's operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It's part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
The RoleReporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, as CDL Vac Truck Driver, you will perform tank truck and trailer duties within the refinery and other areas, including along 40 miles of refined product pipeline. The pipeline serves our Wyoming refinery, which produces high-quality gasoline, distillates, fuel oil diesel, jet fuel and other products.
In performing your role, you'll interact with multiple departments (Pipeline Maintenance, Operations, Environmental Safety, etc.) and internal stakeholders. You will demonstrate a sense of urgency, prioritizing calls and responding as appropriate. More specifically, as part of your duties, you will:
- Receive daily orders from the Maintenance Supervisor
- Organize your daily schedule to include all preparations for work including permits and JSAs
- Following the Department of Transportation safety specifications, perform pre-trip checks on tank truck and fuels, inspect truck for general operating requirements, and ascertain that all required equipment is available and in good operating condition
- Maintain assigned work areas, tank truck vehicle and/or its equipment in a clean and orderly manner, performing housekeeping chores as required and/or directed
- Follow, maintain and adhere to all safety rules, procedures and regulations for loading docks, rail siting, traffic laws, rules and DOT regulations
- Follow all environmental procedures and report all safety and environmental incidents and concerns immediately to your supervisor
- Perform minor work on vehicles as needed, e.g. change light bulbs, replace discharge valves, hose ears, etc.
- Daily, check all sumps, knock out vessels, half barrels and other areas that have accumulated waste or spills, as well as water drawing tanks as needed
- Maintain records of everything that is hauled on the vac truck including load quantities and where they came from and where they went. Records must be reported to the supervisor at the end of every shift
What's in It for You?Employee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems. Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to many areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
Autonomy and support
You'll work independently, but you'll share ideas and learn from other members of the team as well as from employees in other areas of the organization. Help is always just a phone call away.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great place to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive wage, including overtime opportunities, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; and more. In addition, we provide safety glasses, Nomex flame resistant coveralls, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, hard hats and respirators.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo find success in this role, you will be accountable for your work. You will ensure it is done correctly the first time, always be acutely aware of safety as your top priority, and take good care of the equipment you use. Time management and your ability to stay organized will be important. When you're not busy on the truck, you will be proactive about stepping up to help the team in other areas. You'll work with two foremen who will assign additional work when you need it.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding CDL Vac Truck Driver, you will:
- Be flexible and maintain a "can-do" attitude
- Achieve goals autonomously but also contribute as a team player
- Deliver results and operational excellence by planning, organizing and owning your work assignments
- Build solid interpersonal relationships by relating well to others, communicating effectively, bringing a collaborative approach and influencing others as appropriate
- Make good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment