The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be a strong general craftsman with oil & gas, plant, mining or similar experience. We will also consider applicants with strong mechanical skills, a good attitude, and the drive and desire to learn who have alternative experience.
To be a strong fit for the Refinery Maintenance Technician opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Mechanical and pipe fitting skills preferred
- Forklift certification or the ability to learn and operate forklifts and man lifts
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
- A strong commitment to safety policies and procedures
- Computer skills, including ability to use Microsoft Office programs (Word & Excel) is a plus
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and with situations that involve customers, operations and emergencies.
- A valid driver's license and insurable driving record
- The ability to lift 60 pounds
- 20/40 vision or better, depth perception, full field; the ability to distinguish colors as required to perform duties
- Flexibility and dependability; the ability to work outside of your assigned shift, including weekends, holidays and evenings, as required
- Solid communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with team members throughout our organization
- Strong organization, prioritization and problem-solving skills; the ability to work well with deadlines
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and with situations that involve customers, operations and emergencies
- Self-discipline; the ability to work independently and as a strong member of the Maintenance Team
- A sense of urgency
The position may be exposed to heat, noise, humidity, altitude, smoke, fumes, dust, gases, hydrocarbons, paints, and solvents. You will need to wear personal protective equipment, which we will provide, including safety glasses, flame resistant clothing, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, and a hard hat. We also provide respirators. Additionally, you must have the physical stamina to climb, squat, lift, stand, etc. You will be comfortable with heights and confined spaces.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific's operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It's part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, as Refinery Maintenance Technician, you will primarily work within the refinery to support operations and keep the facility running at peak performance. We have 40 miles of refined product pipeline serving the refinery which produces high-quality gasoline, distillates, fuel oil diesel, jet fuel and other products. While 95% of the time you will focus on the maintenance needs within the refinery, on occasion, you will also support basic pipeline maintenance, such as changing filters on the line. All of your work will be generated via a work order system. Typically, you will complete two to three work orders each shift.
You will work the day shift and complete your daily duties in conjunction with another Refinery Maintenance Technician. Daily duties could include, but will not be limited to, cleaning up the plant, fixing leaking or broken pipes, repairing or replacing exchangers, installing or repairing steam and condensate tubing, changing tanks and filters, insulation projects, and painting.
Specifically, you will:
- Receive orders from the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Organize your daily schedule to include all preparations for work including permits and JSAs.
- Maintain assigned work areas, vehicle and/or its equipment in a clean and orderly manner, performing housekeeping chores as required and/or directed.
- Follow, maintain and adhere to all safety rules, procedures and regulations.
- Follow all environmental procedures and report all safety and environmental incidents and concerns to your supervisor immediately.
- Use your strong mechanical and pipe fitting skills regularly, while doing your job.
- Strictly follow instructions, policies and procedures.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems. Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to many areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great place to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive wage, including overtime opportunities, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; and more. In addition, we provide safety glasses, Nomex flame resistant coveralls, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, hard hats and respirators.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo find success in this role, you will be accountable for your work. You will ensure it is done correctly the first time, always be acutely aware of safety as your top priority, and take good care of the equipment you use. Time management and your ability to stay organized will be important.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Refinery Maintenance Technician, you will:
- Be flexible and maintain a "can-do" attitude.
- Achieve goals independently but also contribute as a team player.
- Deliver results and operational excellence by planning, organizing and owning your work assignments.
- Build solid interpersonal relationships by relating well to others, communicating effectively, bringing a collaborative approach and influencing others as appropriate.
- Make good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
- Dedicate yourself to learning the areas where you may have knowledge or skills gaps.