The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this Software Developer opportunity you should have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a Visa transfer of Visa sponsorship
- A bachelor’s degree (preferred) in computer science, information systems, business administration, or related field; or comparable work experience
- SAP Expertise in ABAP or PI/PO (certification preferred)
- 7+ years of experience (more if no degree) in a similar field, including some experience in a multi-site downstream oil & gas and/or a retail oil & gas environment
- 4+ years as an ABAP developer and systems integration expert for Oil & Gas trading and downstream operations businesses
- Significant experience and a firm understanding of API designs, working with most or all of the following: RESTful, XML, XSLT, JSON, and an understanding of SOAP
- Experience with the development of ETL solutions to support data migration efforts
- A strong understanding of business processes related to ERP systems and experience with industry-specific modules/products
- Knowledgeable of the systems development lifecycle and structured analysis
- A reliable, results-oriented mindset
- The ability to work well under pressure and deliver in a rapidly growing company and entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with data Warehouses, business intelligence, and data analytics tools
Pictured: Par Pacific has invested over $95 million over the last four years to modernize, expand, and upgrade both refinery and pipeline/logistics operations in Wyoming.
The RoleWith your developer experience in the oil and gas industry, the basics of this role should already be familiar to you. Reporting to the Developer Architect, you’ll work closely with the functional leads in Finance/Accounting, Supply Chain, Operations, and Commercial to understand and clarify business requirements, then to translate those into solution designs which can be implemented in our ERP landscape in a cost-efficient and scalable way. This will include developing custom RICEFW objects, building seamless integration with 3rd party systems, and managing the software development lifecycle of the ERP ecosystems (SAP, PDI, Hyperion, Allegro, etc.).
At this time we are working with contractors to complete these tasks, so you’ll be our first in-house SAP ABAP Developer. You’ll collaborate with our strong team to bring projects from start to finish, and you’ll also work with our offshore contractors who will continue to do some maintenance and support.
With such a variety of tasks to complete, you’ll need to be good at prioritizing to ensure business needs are being met. On a daily basis, you’ll spend about 40% of your time on business support (working through tickets, troubleshooting, and maintenance) and about 60% involved in innovation projects.
You’ll call on your strong communication skills every day. Only about a third of your work will be heads-down development, with the rest spent in meetings, consultations, and working with the team to determine requirements. You’ll need to already have a strong understanding of the downstream side of the oil and gas industry and an ability to comprehend the requirements, but the functional leads you’ll be working with are very knowledgeable and ready to partner with you to get to workable solutions.
Some of your overall responsibilities will be to:
- Become the resident expert and owner on how applications and technology (web services, interfaces, partner portals, etc.) are leveraged to support front, mid, and back office for all activities
- Become the resident expert and owner on development of solution and the integration points across business functions and technology
- Ensure end-to-end understanding of all business processes, integration points, and systems solutions
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific’s operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It’s part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Why Par PacificEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, premier market position, and integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
We are proud of our collaborative culture where we foster teamwork, open communication and innovation. We work together to draw up solutions, and we are committed to making business improvements together wherever we can. If you want to add your voice to a strong team, this could be a great fit for you!
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative thinker, and a hardworking, entrepreneurial professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers. Prove yourself, and this role could be a great stepping-stone to other positions within the company.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you’ll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It’s a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Pictured: Par Pacific retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessIf you’re the right fit for this role, you’ll have enough oil & gas industry experience to hit the ground running and begin making a difference from your first day. However, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to learn on the job. To excel here, you’ll be open minded, and a quick learner who takes advantage of every chance to expand your knowledge and skill.
Our ideal candidate works well with a team. You’ll need to be willing to take constructive criticism without taking it personally. You’ll need to be strong enough to debate among your peers, sharing your point without getting personal or making others uncomfortable.
In our fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, you’ll also need to be great at working under pressure. You’ll also need to be open to change and ambiguity as we continue to build-out processes and refine procedures, and willing to stay as long as it takes to finish the work on the days when a deadline is due.
Our goal as a team is to work smarter, not harder, and we’ll look to you to leverage tools and technology to make this mission a reality.
In addition, to find success as SAP ABAP Developer, you will:
- Build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Dedicate yourself to learning our company, goals and processes
- Continually look for improvements
- Stretch and grow your skills, always looking for ways to progress your career and talent