The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Retail Operations Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Management or Business; an MBA is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience, including supervisory experience; a background in retail is strongly preferred, but we will consider highly qualified candidates from other industries.
- Proven strong leadership skills, including the ability to:
- Drive performance improvements.
- Manage positive change.
- Coach and mentor others.
- Leverage situational leadership.
- Working knowledge of general business philosophies and practices.
- Strong analytical, communication and time management skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word; experience with SAP and PDI is preferred.
- A valid driver's license.
The RoleReporting to the VP, Retail Operations, you will plan, direct and assume responsibility for the day-to-day operation of all company-operated retail stations and stores in Hawaii. You'll provide direct leadership to five Area Retail Managers, who oversee Store Managers and Customer Service Associates in the 37 stations. In addition, you will interact with our Merchandising and Retail Facilities teams, and with corporate resources in IT, HR, PR, accounting, etc.
There are several areas in which you can move the needle, including:
- Integrating and consolidating acquired assets, including standardizing SOPs, merging files and systems, and more.
- Supporting efforts to extract more value out of the asset base and also growing the business.
- Strategizing to ensure all initiatives comply with regulatory requirements.
- Promoting a culture that encourages employee engagement and retention.
- Supervise Retail Area Managers and coordinate all activities relating to company-operated stations and stores in the region. Ensure a working environment with fair and equal treatment of all employees. Ensure all environmental, safety and health regulations are observed. Assist with design and installation of start-up retail operations.
- Work closely with Merchandising, Facilities, Safety/Environmental, Accounting, HR, Recruiting, IT and other groups to ensure all related Retail programs are effectively and efficiently implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensure Store Operations Manual (SOM) is kept current and that operational policy and procedures are adhered to. Work with appropriate personnel to establish and/or revise new policies and procedures that govern store employee expectations and company procedures. Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate new-hire and ongoing training programs in support of SOM and company policies and procedures.
- Communicate, implement and assist in the development of Retail programs to achieve maximum safety, growth and profit potential.
- Develop, oversee and participate in the business review process. Coordinate and lead quarterly Retail Meeting.
- Establish short term and long term goals. Prepare budgets, forecasts and variance reports. Establish and monitor expense controls as dictated by budget guidelines.
- Assist the VP, Retail in review and analysis of designated business processes and practices, to develop key strategic business partnerships in the market, identifies opportunities for improving overall company efficiency and performance. Travel to mainland and neighbor island as required.
- Practice and communicate the Company's Desired Leadership Style: Cultivate and facilitate the success of direct reports; maintain a high level of ethical standards; demonstrate respect for worth and dignity of each employee as an individual; share relevant information consistently and in a timely manner; and encourage open and honest communication without fear of reprisal.
- Assist VP Retail and serve in the absence of the VP Retail.
- Support projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Lead and participate in related community service events.
What's in It for YouImpact now and in the future
As you can see, this role offers plenty of ways you can demonstrate your leadership skills and ability to deliver results. In addition, we are building bench strength for our ongoing strong growth. You might set your career sights on opportunities here in Hawai'i or at other Par Pacific locations in the U.S.
Great time to join us
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We have completed three significant acquisitions since 2013. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies. Our employees enjoy the opportunities and vibrant environment that comes with working in a growing enterprise.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Pictured: Par Hawaii has been a strong supporter of Special Olympics Hawai'i for longer than 27 years. Our annual Fueling Dreams campaign, now in its 12th year, allows drivers to make a donation to Special Olympics Hawai'i at participating Hele, 76 and Tesoro stations throughout the islands.
Keys to SuccessOur culture is unique and requires a high degree of leadership savvy. A heavy-handed style won't work. To excel in this role you will have the situational leadership skills necessary to respond to different personalities and issues as well as the motivational and influencing skills necessary to drive performance and positive change. Of course, sensitivity to cultural diversity will be essential. A collaborative approach will work best, but there may be occasions when you'll need to be assertive.
You should be proactive about establishing yourself as a resource to your team, helping them remove barriers and get the resources they need. At the same time, you should set clear expectations and hold people accountable. You also should be dedicated to providing coaching and mentoring to help your team develop.
In addition, you should be comfortable "switching gears," focusing on details in one moment and strategizing for the big picture the next. As you can see, there will lots going on, so you'll need to be highly organized and adept at managing multiple activities and changing priorities. You'll also need robust problem-solving skills.
Pictured: Our Oahu refinery is part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.