The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this Director of Operational Accounting opportunity you should have:
- Legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a Visa transfer of Visa sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent required.
- CPA, MBA, or similar certification preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant accounting experience required; preferably within the energy industry.
- 4+ years of management experience preferred, including the ability to lead, coach and mentor people.
- SAP experience is highly preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- A history of successful process improvement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and application of logic.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written required.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to accommodate unexpected changes.
- A strong understanding of business processes related to ERP systems.
- A reliable, results-oriented mindset.
- The ability to work well under pressure and deliver in a rapidly growing company and entrepreneurial environment.
Travel will be heavier in the beginning as you visit the different operational sites and get to know the team and the business.
Pictured: Par Pacific has invested over $95 million over the last four years to modernize, expand, and upgrade both refinery and pipeline/logistics operations in Wyoming.
The RoleReporting directly to the Corporate Controller, as the Director of Operational Accounting, your mission will be to oversee the accounting, forecasting and reporting function of the Company’s operating sites, including refineries in Hawaii and Wyoming, logistics networks and retail operations in Hawaii. You will oversee a team of five direct reports (three in Hawaii, one in Wyoming and one in Texas).
You will manage the annual budgets for these operations that encompass total operational expenses of approximately $250 million and capital expenditures of approximately $40 million. Serving as the link between accounting and operational leadership, we will look to you to facilitate the flow of accurate information.
More specifically, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Monitor consolidated closing process for operational sites
- Partner with operational leadership to discuss monthly results and any variances vs. forecasts/budgets
- Lead the annual budget planning process related to operational sites spending
- Implement and monitor accounting processes at sites to streamline the month end close process
- Responsible for the accuracy of all related balance sheet accounts during month end close
- Partner with operational leadership to understand inventory yields, and related impacts on the financial statements, on a monthly basis
- Responsible for the accounts payable group
- Develop a good working relationship with the procurement department to improve the company's overall procure to pay function
- Prepare ad hoc reports, financial analyses and special projects, as directed by upper-management
- Develops financial reports for forecasting, trending and results analysis
- Monitor and evaluate the company’s business environment, current financial results, and consider future financial impacts
- Perform other duties as assigned
Pictured: Another of Par Pacific’s operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It’s part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Why Par PacificEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, premier market position, and integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
We are proud of our collaborative culture where we foster teamwork, open communication and innovation. We work together to draw up solutions, and we are committed to making business improvements together wherever we can. If you want to add your voice to a strong team, this could be a great fit for you!
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative thinker, and a hardworking, entrepreneurial professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers. Prove yourself, and this role could be a great stepping-stone to other positions within the company.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you’ll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It’s a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Pictured: Par Pacific retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessAlthough your accounting expertise will be essential, to truly excel in this role you will have the interpersonal skill and emotional intelligence required to build relationships with a variety of key stakeholders at the various operating sites. You’ll need the ability to navigate different personalities and work styles, driving synergy between operations and accounting. We’re looking for a leader who can champion continuous improvement and identify new ways to refine processes.
In our fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, you’ll also need to be great at working under pressure. You’ll need to be open to change and ambiguity as we continue to build-out processes and refine procedures, and willing to stay as long as it takes to finish the work on the days when a close is scheduled or a budget needs to be submitted.
Our goal as a team is to work smarter, not harder, and we’ll look to you to leverage tools and technology to make this mission a reality.
In addition, to find success as the Director of Operational Accounting, you will:
- Leverage your leadership and employee development skills to coach and mentor your team
- Build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Dedicate yourself to learning our company, goals and processes
- Continually look for improvements
- Stretch and grow your skills, always looking for ways to progress your career and talent
Pictured: Par Pacific is a major investor in Laramie Energy, LLC, a Denver-based company focused on developing unconventional oil and gas reserves within the U.S. Rockies.