The RequirementsWhile our preference is that you have related pipeline compliance experience, this also could be a chance for a pipeline operations professional to leverage their knowledge and experience in a new way. To be a good fit for the Compliance Coordinator opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent. A bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas (in order of preference):
- Liquid pipeline regulatory compliance.
- Gas pipeline regulatory compliance.
- Compliance experience involving regulations other than Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
- Pipeline operations.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to organize complex documentation.
- The ability to understand how pipelines operate.
- Knowledge of and experience with safe handling practices for hazardous materials.
- The ability to understand and interpret government and other policy/regulatory documents.
- Demonstrated computer skills in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Demonstrated math skills.
- A Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) or the ability to obtain one.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to meet company insurability requirements.
- Knowledge of DOT PHMSA regulations, reporting requirements and record keeping is a strong plus.
We'll also look to you to be flexible in your schedule and may ask you to take call outs or respond to facility emergency and/or business related needs during off-hours. However, we don't anticipate this will happen frequently.
Qualified candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check and drug screening prior to being hired.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
The RoleEssential Role
Reporting to the Pipeline Supervisor, you will coordinate the execution, documentation and reporting associated with Par Hawaii's pipeline compliance program. We own and operate a 23-mile pipeline from the Kapolei refinery to downtown Honolulu, and the pipeline is subject to regulation by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). In particular, you will play a key role in ensuring we comply with 49 CFR 195: Transportation of Hazardous Liquids by Pipeline.
Our compliance program incorporates all relevant aspects of the PHMSA regulations, including the pipeline operations and maintenance manuals, the operator qualification program, pipeline integrity management, public awareness, emergency response and other regulatory requirements.
Currently several people handle different aspects of compliance coordination, so your first main goal will be to consolidate it into a central function. This will include working with different stakeholders to understand processes, gather documentation and more. On an ongoing basis you will coordinate with people in various areas, including the environmental health & safety (EH&S), refinery operations, maintenance, engineering and others.
More specifically, you will:
- Work with operations personnel to coordinate and manage detailed, proactive systems to ensure compliance with PHMSA regulations and company requirements.
- Conduct pipeline compliance audits and risk assessments to ensure effective and sustainable implementation of regulatory and company requirements at the pipeline facilities.
- Review pending and upcoming changes to PHMSA regulations to ensure the company is prepared for future compliance requirements. Develop and communicate impact summaries of future regulatory changes to EH&S and operations leadership.
- Complete and submit all required federal and state pipeline compliance reports.
- Assist EH&S, operations and engineering staff regarding technical guidance, permitting, project development and implementation, One Call and incident notification/response, and other routine pipeline compliance issues and requests.
- Work with pipeline maintenance on job safety analysis (JSA) documents prior to project implementation, and attend major project pre-job safety meetings.
- Monitor ISNet program to ensure that the contractors working on pipeline projects are current with the insurance and safety requirements of Par Hawaii.
- Conduct incident investigations, root cause analysis, follow-up, and closure of action items, and leverage learning across the organization.
- Seek out industry best practices and more effective and efficient methods to achieve operational excellence in incident prevention and PHMSA compliance.
- Demonstrate performance toward operational excellence on a consistent basis.
- Handle other duties and projects as assigned.
What's in It for YouGreat time to join us
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We have completed three significant acquisitions since 2013. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies. Our employees enjoy the opportunities and vibrant environment that comes with working in a growing enterprise.
Even if you already have liquid pipeline compliance experience, there will be new things to learn in our dynamic, evolving environment. Once you have proven yourself in this role, you might set your sights on advancing within the logistics organization, or pursue paths into refinery operations or even retail.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Pictured: Our Oahu refinery is part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will complement your strong organizational skills with robust attention to detail as well as the ability to understand the big picture and how the details fit into it. You'll also need excellent interpersonal skills -- you will depend on others to accomplish goals, and you'll need to be able to influence and motivate them. A collaborative approach will work best, but there may be occasions when you'll need to be assertive to ensure we remain in compliance.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Compliance Coordinator, you will:
- Clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences.
- Leverage solid problem-solving skills, including the ability to identify and address root causes.
- Remain flexible and adaptable as the company grows and evolves, and as the regulatory and industry landscapes change.
- Bring a strong work ethic and solid sense of ownership and accountability.
- Take a proactive approach to staying abreast of regulatory changes.
- Be resourceful in achieving your goals independently, but also be willing to ask for help when you need it.