The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Maintenance Execution Superintendent opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering (strongly preferred) or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant engineering and/or skilled trade experience in maintenance in a refinery or process industry environment, including:
- Excellent leadership skills and experience overseeing day-to-day maintenance activities.
- Supervising employees; top candidates will have experience supervising front-line, hourly employees.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A driver's license with clean abstract, and the ability to operate a truck and car.
- Experience with CMMS or ERPs is preferred, ideally with SAP.
- Solid people skills and the ability to develop relationships across functional lines.
- Strong organizational skills.
As Superintendent you'll also need to be available 24x7 for emergencies. In most cases you can manage issues from home, but you will need to have your phone with you at all times.
Qualified candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check and drug screening prior to being hired.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 brands. We supply 91 stores on five islands.
The RoleReporting to the Maintenance Manager, you will lead a team of five Supervisors: Instrumentation and Electrical, Weld Shop, Rotating Equipment, Inside Shop and Contractors. Each oversees a team of 10 to 12 skilled craftspeople, including pipefitters, welders, electricians, instrumentation technicians, analyzer technicians, machinists, mechanics and others. Your direct reports also will include a Plant Engineer and Administrative Assistant.
You will be responsible for the execution, documentation, close out and cost management of all maintenance work. Key objectives will include:
- Ensuring quality work, following all safe work practices and meeting all environmental regulations.
- Preparing and aiding in the administration of the maintenance expense budget and assuring the value of work done.
- Aiding in the planning and execution of the refinery turnaround efforts.
More specifically, you will:
- Ensure scheduled maintenance work and unscheduled emergency/urgent maintenance work is executed safely with high quality.
- Maintain a visible and active field presence to ensure safe work practices.
- Set high standards and expectations for the maintenance supervisors.
- Track and ensure closure of incident and audit action items.
- Directly supervises, trains, and oversees the personnel under his/her supervision in the performance of their work.
- Actively pursue safety, environmental and regulatory enhancing issues.
- Assign, follow up, and sign off on maintenance work activities.
- Audit safety and environmental procedure compliance within the Maintenance Department.
- Attend the daily Maintenance / Operations Meetings.
- Work with operating counterparts as owners of the refinery equipment to coordinate, facilitate, prioritize and optimize value of all worked performed within your jointly assigned work areas.
- Resolve / remove problems and barriers to completing maintenance work to assure productive work performance.
- Manage the refinery maintenance backlog.
- Provide technical assistance to the supervisors as required to resolve problems.
- Assume responsibility for cost effective utilization of resources and material, including establishing appropriate metrics to measure.
- Ensure that all Layered Safety Audits are completed.
- Set the standard for overtime needs for supervisors to consistently apply.
- Follow up and hold accountable all company and contract personnel for meeting expectations.
- Monitor safety conditions of the working area and the equipment being used. Suspend work until corrections are made if safety hazards are discovered.
- Establish personal development plans with all direct reports.
- Assume responsibility for the completion of goals as agreed with supervisor.
- Ensure that the maintenance supervisors proactively and consistently administer the CBA, policies, procedures, standards, shop rules, and craft expectations.
- Assume responsibility for the appraisal of employee performance.
- Promptly assist reliability efforts within all maintenance and operating areas.
- Assume responsibility for the development of all subordinates, supervision and crafts.
- Develop and provide training to raise the reliability awareness and ownership of Maintenance employees.
- Organize and review supervisor's progression.
- Establish craft classification requirements and work with Maintenance Training to provide opportunities for craft progression.
- Develop and maintain SAP knowledge to create work orders, perform material queries, check quantity on hand, create reservations and requisitions and perform other functions.
- Handle other duties as required.
What's in It for YouMake your mark
Over all the maintenance program is solid, but we believe a strong leader can make a good thing even better. You'll showcase your ability to drive improvements in processes and performance.
We are enjoying strong growth and we are proactive about developing leaders. Once you have proven yourself in this role, you might move up in the maintenance organization or into other areas. If you are open to relocation, you might pursue opportunities at other Par Pacific locations.
Great time to join us
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We have completed three significant acquisitions since 2013. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies. Our employees enjoy the opportunities and vibrant environment that comes with working in a growing enterprise.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Pictured: Par Hawaii is the state's leading resource for refined oil products, producing ultra-low sulfur diesel, gasoline, jet fuel, marine fuel, asphalt and fuel oil for electrical generation, as well as other associated refined projects.
Keys to SuccessYou should take a proactive approach to establishing credibility with your team. You don't have to be an expert in every craft, but you should know enough to understand the supervisor's needs.
With 100 jobs a week, you'll need exceptional organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple activities and the flexibility to manage shifting priorities. If you're used to an environment focusing on months-long projects, this may be a challenging adjustment for you.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Maintenance Execution Superintendent, you will:
- Promote a strong commitment to safety and quality throughout the Maintenance Department.
- Establish solid relationships with other departments.
- Bring strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to identify and address root causes.
- Establish clear expectations and provide support while also holding people accountable.
- Model a strong work ethic and solid sense of pride and ownership for your team.