The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be a propane industry subject-matter-expert with a strong operational background and experience with business development. To be a good fit for the Propane Operations Manager opportunity, you should have:
- A bachelor's degree required, preferably in Operations Management, Business Administration or a similar job relevant focus
- 10+ years of experience in an operations leadership role within the propane gas industry
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting financials and other documents relating to department performance, safety and technical procedures, and governmental regulations
- Experience with market analysis
- Strong background and commitment to customer service; experience managing customer issues and finding solutions
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite applications, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; SAP experience a plus
- A strong safety mindset and commitment to promoting and enforcing safety best practices
- Experience managing multiple branches in a propane business preferred
- Knowledge of the area is a plus
- Strong business acumen and marketplace knowledge
- Proven leadership and decision-making skills; the ability work effectively with multiple levels and titles and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation skills
- Outstanding organization, prioritization and time management skills; attention to detail; accuracy; ability to effectively balance multiple, sometimes conflicting, priorities
While you'll typically work Monday-Friday, this role requires on-call availability 24/7. Successful candidates will be required to pass a background check and drug screening before hire.
Note: reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
As Propane Operations Manager, your mission will be to lead a newly forming Propane operation both from the business development and operational sides. You will serve as the hub between senior leaders and the business in order to grow a best-in-class operation. Your goals will include launching the propane business in Wyoming, reviewing organic growth opportunities and growth through acquisitions, and achieving service, quality and operational efficiency for the operation. You will oversee customer service, operations and logistics and drive the business to meet market demands and deliver strong revenue growth.
In collaboration with senior leaders, upon joining us, you will review what is in place and develop a vision and plan for developing propane operations from manufacturing to retail. We already have a strong infrastructure from the lab to outstanding technical professions, and you will serve as SME and help us get all the pieces in place building the operation soup to nuts. While propane gas could grow into its own business unit, it could also fit in under logistics. These are the type of structure issues you'll help us answer as you execute a plan.
Specifically, you will:
- Serve as the subject matter expert on all propane operational management related issues
- Execute performance planning and management of personnel
- Work with senior management:
- To achieve the best performance from drivers, service technicians, and other operations personnel
- To optimize and effectuate propane deliveries and maintenance of company-owned tanks, vehicles, and equipment
- Own service quality and efficiency performance
- Work closely with senior management and customers to:
- Evaluate quality of customer service performance and implement measures to improve as needed
- Optimize operational processes
- Budget by hours and productivity metrics
- Ensure safety, environmental, compliance, and permitting requirements are met
- Hire, train and mentor staff
- Support Sales and Marketing initiatives
- Comply with Department of Transportation (DOT) CDL requirements
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
Latitude & expertise
This is not a role where we will be telling you what to do. Instead, you'll have the latitude to build and grow the operation based on your knowledge and experience to ensure we're going down the right path. We will look to you to understand how to move the ball forward. Likewise, the growth of the operation will inform the growth and advancement of your position.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great place to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to competitive compensation and bonus opportunity, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; and more. In addition, we provide safety glasses, Nomex flame resistant coveralls, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, hard hats and respirators as needed.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessSuccess in this role requires an individual with vision and exceptional communication skills to work with leadership and stakeholders both internal and external. You will take an entrepreneurial approach, looking at this as a start-up opportunity, even though you'll work within a well-established business. As with any new initiative, a thick skin and the drive to continue to move the needle even when facing challenges will be essential.
You should be able to successfully navigate current operational processes and procedures and either modify them or develop new policies to achieve peak operational efficiency within the propane gas operation. We have a strong propane operation in Hawaii, which you can also model, but we want to hear your strong ideas built on real-world, hands-on experience. This will be your role to own, demonstrate your talent and runway for growth, and make a long-range impact of which you can be proud.
Ultimately, you will develop and execute a plan that will bring profitable manufacturing and retail operations to the local market.
Pictured: Par Pacific is a major investor in Laramie Energy, LLC, a Denver based company focused on developing unconventional oil and gas reserves within the U.S. Rockies.