The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Reliability Mechanical Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelors' degree in at least one of the following engineering disciplines: mechanical, chemical, electrical, or petroleum.
- At least five years' reliability experience in industrial/manufacturing environments; experience in the chemical or power generation industry is a plus, and a background in oil & gas would be ideal.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels in the organization.
- The ability to achieve goals independently and also contribute as a team player.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Solid planning and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- A process orientation.
- A bias for action.
Pictured: Our Oahu refinery is part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
The RoleReporting to the Reliability Engineering Superintendent, you will join a team that also includes Reliability Engineers focusing on fixed and rotating equipment, electrical and instrumentation. You'll be one of two mechanical engineers on the team, and you'll focus on rotating equipment. You and your counterpart will share duties and back one another up, and you'll also collaborate with the other engineers, equipment operators and others.
In general, you will conduct engineering studies and make recommendations to improve the reliability of refinery equipment. This will include:
- Conducting investigations of equipment problems and failures (RCFA), making recommendations to prevent future problems, expediting the planned and unplanned repairs of equipment, and training employees in machine use and lubrication to increase reliability.
- Providing overall refinery support of Reliability Programs for condition monitoring, preventive maintenance, critical equipment monitoring, lubrication, application of API standards, and development of appropriate repair standards.
- Directly interfacing and coordinating machinery activities with Safety, Maintenance, project and process personnel as well as contractors.
More specifically, you will:
- Evaluate equipment performance and provide equipment reliability improvement recommendations by using reliability-centered maintenance (RCM) analysis.
- Champion the machinery bad actor program, and develop and/or assist in the strategies for the resolution of bad actors.
- Steward the refinery benchmarking, condition monitoring, lube oil, and fixed asset monitoring systems to ensure proactive activities and ongoing improvement.
- Investigate equipment problems and failures for root cause and provide engineering recommendations for resolution including economic impacts of various alternatives.
- Review and approve all proposed machinery spare parts changes including additions to the spare parts lists and spares for new equipment.
- Use SAP to update equipment repair histories, provide technical data updates, and input necessary changes to equipment bill of materials.
- Conduct cold eyes hazard/operability reviews of new equipment designs and existing equipment.
- Assist maintenance planner to develop repair work scopes for major machinery components for equipment repaired in-house, equipment sent out for repair and equipment repaired during turnarounds.
- Interface with equipment suppliers on retrofits or upgrades.
- Assist Maintenance with troubleshooting rotating and fixed equipment problems in the field.
- Participate in the MOC Process.
- Perform engineering calculations (utilizing latest software) for re-rating pressure vessels.
- Perform engineering calculations (utilizing latest software) for equipment nozzle loads and pipe stress analysis.
- Proactively seek out cost savings and reliability enhancement opportunities.
- Perform vibration analysis.
- Perform oil analysis.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
As you can see under The Role, this position involves much more than just running studies. You'll have occasion to get hands-on with equipment, help crafts people solve problems, respond to issues and more.
Of course, the ultimate focus of Reliability is to improve production, but you'll have more influence here than you might in a larger company. At the end of every week you will have the satisfaction of knowing you made a difference.
This position can provide you challenges and opportunities for years to come. At the same time, if you have the aptitude and ambition, you might pursue advancement along two paths. On the technical path you might become a Senior Engineer, Superintendent or even a corporate subject matter expert. If you're more interested in people management, you might set your sights on a number of positions, including Refinery Manager.
Great time to join us
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We have completed three significant acquisitions since 2013. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies. Our employees enjoy the opportunities and vibrant environment that comes with working in a growing enterprise.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Pictured: Par Hawaii is the state's leading resource for refined oil products, producing ultra-low sulfur diesel, gasoline, jet fuel, marine fuel, asphalt and fuel oil for electrical generation, as well as other associated refined projects.
Keys to SuccessIf you are looking for an office job in which you can spend most of your time at the computer, this is not the position for you. There will be office time, but we'll expect you to spend the majority of your time in the refinery, running studies, looking for opportunities to enhance reliability, coaching operators on best practices, and more. This means that, while your technical skills will be essential, just as important will be the ability to work effectively with others at all levels and functional areas.
Most of your attention will go to rotating equipment, you'll need to develop basic familiarity with the other areas. You'll work with fixed equipment on occasion, and most of your efforts also will touch on electrical and instrumentation. We value teamwork and collaboration in Reliability, and you should be willing to help your colleagues as they will do the same for you.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Reliability Mechanical Engineer, you will:
- Combine an analytical approach and creativity solving problems.
- Manage multiple activities and priorities effectively.
- Leverage your leadership and influencing skills to coordinate effectively among multiple stakeholders.
- Maintain open lines of communication when supporting cross-functional activities.
- Remain willing to get hands on with the equipment as necessary.
- Promote a strong focus on safety in all your activities.