The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Fuel Truck Driver opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- 3+ years of experience as a professional truck driver. Petroleum experience desired.
- A commercial driver’s license (CDL), Type A with an X endorsement. Top candidates also will have a T endorsement.
- A clean driving abstract for the last 5 years.
- General mechanical knowledge and skills.
- A working knowledge of math and chemistry, with the ability to perform routine mathematical calculations.
- The ability to lift a minimum of 60 pounds.
- Experience with shift work is preferred.
- A positive attitude and openness to learning new skills and processes.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to represent Par Pacific effectively with customers.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with deadlines.
- Solid problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work in difficult conditions and with situations that involve customers, operations and emergencies.
You'll need to be flexible in your schedule, and able to work days or nights, including weekends. If one of your shifts falls on a holiday, you will need to work. The day shift runs from 1 AM to 2 PM, and the night shift from 1 PM to 2 AM. Schedules are assigned by seniority.
Qualified candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check and drug screening prior to being hired.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 brands. We supply 91 stores on five islands.
The RoleReporting to the Trucking Supervisor, you will join a team that currently has 17 Drivers and is growing. The team delivers various petroleum products, primarily fuel, to both company retail sites and commercial customers.
More specifically, you will:
- Receive delivery orders from the truck dispatcher, organize the delivery route to including all preparations for delivery and call dispatcher or leave message on recorder after each delivery.
- Follow Department of Transportation safety specifications in performing pre-delivery trip check on tank truck and fuels, inspect truck for general operating requirements, and ascertain that all required equipment is available and in good operating condition.
- Drive a tank truck & trailer or tractor/trailer to customer’s location, connect hose to tank and open valves, read gauges, record amounts delivered and leave delivery ticket receipt with customer. You'll load truck and/or trailers at designated facilities following all rules and regulations for each facility.
- Return to the terminal at the end of the workday and complete post trip truck inspection to determine if repairs are necessary. Accurately complete all regulatory and customary paperwork.
- Establish and maintain good customer service and rapport while handling customer’s questions or schedules. Call customers before loading/leaving load rack to ensure the customer is able to receive the load. Answer inquiries as appropriate and/or refer customers to the trucking supervisor for assistance.
- Maintain assigned work areas, tank truck vehicle and/or its equipment in a clean and orderly manner, performing housekeeping chores as required and/or directed.
- Follow, maintain and adhere to all safety rules and regulations for ships, loading docks, customer premises, traffic laws, rules and DOT regulations. Follow all environmental procedures and report all safety and environmental incidents and concerns immediately to the supervisor.
- Perform minor work on vehicles as needed, such as changing light bulbs, replacing discharge valves or hose ears, etc.
- Perform other duties as required and requested.
What's in It for YouEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems. Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to many areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great time to join us
Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. We have completed three significant acquisitions since 2013. We look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies. Our employees enjoy the opportunities and vibrant environment that comes with working in a growing enterprise.
Great place to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Kona, one of Hawaii's most beautiful and historical places. You'll find everything from coffee farms to historical landmarks. We're proud of our unique culture and family-friendly environment.
Pictured: You will play an important role in a logistics system that delivers state-wide, including transferring products to ships and barges that supply the neighbor islands.
Keys to SuccessIf you're new to shift work, it can be a challenging transition. The shifts are long, so you'll need plenty of energy and focus. If you're new to petroleum, there will be a lot to learn. Hauling fuel is very different. We'll support you as you get up to speed, but you should be open to learning and coaching.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Fuel Truck Driver, you will:
- Maintain a strong focus on safety at all times.
- Bring a sense of ownership and accountability.
- Respect the equipment and take good care of it -- it is essential to your success.
- Be flexible and maintain a "can-do" attitude.
- Establish a reputation among the other drivers as a dependable team player.
- Be resourceful in solving problems, but also know when to reach out for help.