The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Senior Tax Specialist opportunity, you will have:
- An undergraduate and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting; CPA license preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience required
- Indirect / state tax experience is strongly preferred, including familiarity with sales and use / federal and state fuel taxes. Some prior public accounting experience is also preferred
- Midstream or downstream industry experience preferred
- Experience working in a database environment, with SAP and Avalara experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel (e.g., comfort in use of v-lookup, sum-if and sum-ifs statement arguments as well as pivot tables)
- Prior experience with excise, fuel and sales and use tax
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written required
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adjust work schedule to accommodate unexpected changes
- Strong initiative to research issues, develop potential solutions, and effectively partner with other business areas to drive tax issue resolution in a way that strengthens the overall organization
- Solid analytical skills
- Good interpersonal skills
The RoleReporting directly to the Tax Manager, as the Tax Senior Specialist, you will assist with all of the Company's tax reporting responsibilities focusing primarily on the tax reporting of indirect taxes including state sales and use taxes, federal and state excise taxes, and property taxes. The position will also assist with the preparation of federal and state income and franchise tax returns along with some financial reporting responsibilities.
This would include the preparation of workpapers and other supporting documentation including monthly and quarterly reconciliations both for the preparation of tax returns prepared internally, as well as supporting documentation which is provided to external advisors. We’re looking for a professional who can leverage both Excel and SAP to query data, manipulate numbers and run reports.
As part of your day-to-day responsibilities, you will have to team and work closely with members from the accounting, financial reporting, and shared services groups.
More specifically, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Prepare supporting workpapers and tax returns for various income, excise, sales/use, and property tax filings
- Perform SAP queries to obtain information necessary for tax analysis and understand impact of exemptions and coding for customers and vendors and its impact tax consequences of sale and purchase transactions
- Coordinate with Treasury Group and assist with processing of periodic tax payments
- Work with Shared Services/Accounts Payable Groups on year-end 1099 reporting for vendors
- Work with customers and vendors to ensure proper documentation exists for tax exemptions/tax treatment of purchases and sales
- Maintain matrices and lists of jurisdictions in which the company does business for purposes of determining tax filing obligations
- Maintain knowledge of federal excise tax reporting (i.e., ExSTARS 720-TO and 720-CS, quarterly 720 returns, and annual 2290 Heavy Highway Vehicle returns)
- Assist in review/preparation of the Company’s quarterly and annual income tax provision
- Assist with responding to inquiries from various state and federal audit that arise in the normal course of business
- Knowledge of Hawaii general excise tax and liquid fuel tax statutes and regulations
- Knowledge of Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and other state statues with respect to fuel/excise, and sales/use taxes
- Work with IT Group and external consultants on enhancements to existing SAP environment as it relates to tax reporting items including but not limited to excise and sales/use taxes, and tax depreciation and amortization
- Perform other duties as assigned
Why Par PacificEmployee value proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, premier market position, and integrated business systems. Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many industry experts.
We are proud of our collaborative culture where we foster teamwork, open communication and innovation. We work together to draw up solutions, and we are committed to making business improvements together wherever we can. If you want to add your voice to a strong team, this could be a great fit for you!
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you're at Par, you're a driven, creative thinker, and a hardworking, entrepreneurial professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change underway. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers. Prove yourself, and this role could be a great stepping-stone to other positions within the company.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you'll work is in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It's a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefits, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
Pictured: Our Oahu refinery is part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
Keys to SuccessThis is a role where you are going to get questions and field inquiries from virtually every group and department throughout the organization. We have tax issues with respect to the acquisition and integration of acquisitions of new companies, along with the raw materials we purchase and products we sell across multiple jurisdictions. This position will challenge you to exercise the full scope of your tax knowledge and experience. You’ll assist with everything from tax exemptions and vendor set-up to jurisdiction and sales and use tax issues that relate to the sales of our refined products. The role will require a high degree of confidence and an easy-going personality as you interact with a wide variety of people.
Because you are working with so many departments (as well as third-party vendors and state/ administrative agencies) and touching so many tax issues, it’s safe to say that this is a role where you’ll enjoy a tremendous amount of variety and exposure. To excel in this dynamic environment you’ll need to be proactive, flexible and a strong troubleshooter. Success in this role will require initiative and analytical curiosity. Far from simply plugging numbers into SAP, you should ask questions and dive deeper to research problem areas. We'll look to you to keep an eye out for ways to improve processes. If this sounds like the right mix of challenge and opportunity, we look forward to hearing from you.