The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Assistant Store Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Experience in customer-facing roles, including handling customer issues.
- Experience in retail sales and cash handling.
- Some supervisory or team leadership experience.
- A valid driver's license and reliable vehicle.
- The ability to:
- Perform basic arithmetic operations accurately.
- Communicate verbally and in writing in English, including proficient telephone communication skills.
- Work with equipment, tools and materials as required.
- Stand and/or walk for an entire shift and lift up to 20 pounds.
- A strong commitment to safety guidelines.
In addition, you will need to be willing and able to cover nights and work double shifts if necessary. You may have to work six or seven days a week during a Store Manager's vacation. You'll earn overtime as appropriate. Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleReporting to a Store Manager, you will help supervise a team of 5 to 15 that may include Customer Service Associates (CSAs) and Senior CSAs. This position includes aspects of both CSA and Store Manager: you'll spend a good deal of your time providing customer service, for example, and you'll also support scheduling, ordering and other managerial tasks.
Your specific responsibilities will fall into three main areas. In the area of customer service and site relationships, you will:
- Consistently provide prompt and courteous customer service, which may include assisting customers at the gas pump and helping to resolve customer issues.
- Accurately ring up all sales on POS system, complying with all cash handling procedures, including checks and other types of payment received for products sold.
- Develop positive and professional relationships with all suppliers.
- Assume responsibilities for all cash, monies, and inventory during your shift.
- Assume Store Manager responsibilities when needed.
- Prepare bank deposits, reports and paperwork during manager's absence or days off.
- Comply with company policies and store procedures.
- Assist in maintaining proper inventory levels and shift audits.
- Adopt, comply with and participate in all safety programs and training.
- Perform cleaning duties necessary to maintain site cleanliness inside and out, and basic upkeep and/or cleaning of all equipment on the site. Assist with identifying equipment problems.
- Receive merchandise using proper check-in procedures when working with vendors.
- Conduct fuel surveys (driving in the local area to check competitors' prices).
- Maintain a professional and supportive image among subordinates and supervisor.
- Work with Store Manager to create, maintain and improve teamwork, and provide training assistance to new associates.
- Assist with scheduling staff working hours.
- Perform other duties as required.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
You will expand your skills and experience in operations as well as in leadership, and demonstrate your capacity for taking on additional responsibilities. We promote from within whenever possible.
Employee value proposition
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to many areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific, and there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you're at Par, you're a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Great places to live and work
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. We're proud of our unique culture and family-friendly environment.
In addition to a competitive wage, including overtime opportunities and bonus potential, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) plan with generous company match; employee assistance programs; vacation days; and more. We also offer shift differential for employees working the night shift.
Pictured: Par Hawaii has been a strong supporter of Special Olympics Hawai'i for longer than 27 years. Our annual Fueling Dreams campaign, now in its 12th year, allows drivers to make a donation to Special Olympics Hawai'i at participating Hele, 76 and Tesoro stations throughout the islands.
Keys to SuccessDo you have what it takes?
This role is not for everyone. We've already stated it, but it's important enough that it bears repeating: you'll need to be very flexible and able to work any shift, any day. In addition, this is not a "back office" job. There will be some administrative work, but you'll also need to work right alongside the CSAs, helping customers at the register, sweeping the lot, stocking inventory and more. The position requires high energy and a strong sense of accountability.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Assistant Store Manager, you will:
- Model responsibility and ownership for the CSAs, such as arriving on time and being proactive about keeping the store clean inside and out.
- Bring strong multitasking skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Promote a positive work environment so that employees look forward to coming in for every shift.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural diversity.
- Bring a collaborative approach, but also be willing to be assertive when necessary.
- Maintain a calm, solution-oriented manner when dealing with issues.