The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Global Cargo Trader opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree with a preference being given towards a business or engineering degree
- 5-8+ years of commercial industry supply and trading experience, preferably within the energy industry, including at least 2 years of global cargo trading experience
- Solid understanding of the crude oil industry with exposure to/knowledge of upstream, downstream, and midstream sectors of the oil industry
- Proven negotiation skills
- Understanding and knowledge of logistics, commodities, risk, and hedging
- Strong computer skills, including specific knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. intermediate to advanced Excel and basic Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience with market information services such as Bloomberg and ProphetX preferred
- Previous experience using Haverly applications (H/CAMS, H/Comet) a plus
- Strong industry contacts and relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; English fluency in all forms of communication required
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to apply logic
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Willingness and capacity to adjust work schedule to accommodate global markets and unexpected changes
The RoleReporting to the Director of Supply & Trading, as Global Crude Trader, you will be responsible for managing all physical and financial crude oil activities for Par Pacific's Hawaii refinery supply needs. If you're the candidate we seek, you have a deep understanding of what this role entails, however, to ensure you have a complete picture, we offer the following details:
You will join our commercial team, currently including eight individuals working in Houston and Hawaii, including traders managing other commodities such as paper, an analyst, scheduler and others. You will primarily work out of Houston corporate location and flex your schedule as necessary to meet time zone demands. To meet those demands, some work can be done from home and you will travel as necessary to execute your role. You will interact with global markets, develop strong relationships and represent Par's interests by identifying and valuing points of risk, hedging the cargo as appropriate, negotiating and making logical decisions in live situations. More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Market discovery, risk valuation/mitigation, crude selection/negotiation/optimization
- Refinery crude purchasing and hedging
- Monitoring the world market industry and following financial news taken from various agencies
- Providing strategic direction on crude oil supply, logistics, and objectives
- Market analytics, arbitrage and supply & demand models
- Providing support for the contracts, accounting, treasury, credit and risk departments
- Long-term price decks for budget forecasts
- Traveling to domestic and foreign industry events
Pictured: One of Par Pacific’s operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It’s part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts. You will directly interact with key players throughout our business, and will have many opportunities to learn and grow your skill across platforms, as well as in various aspects of people and project management.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
Professional growth with strong mentor
You will enjoy direct access to strong leaders with the VP and the Director of Supply and Trading. While you'll come to the table with strong skills, you are bound to grow as you share with and learn from these leaders and others on the commercial team.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
We have a great team of talented and energetic people who have built positive relationships with each other. We're building a team and company culture where we can work hard and be successful but also have fun. If that sounds like you, you'll fit right in.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you’ll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It’s a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change underway. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers.
Pictured: Par Pacific’s retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessThis is a role where a good deal of your success will be based on relationships. To excel, you'll need to be an outstanding communicator both internally and externally. Additionally, you will demonstrate integrity in every area from how you conduct yourself with business people in foreign countries to how you interact with your teammates and the wider Par Pacific organization.
Flexibility and adaptability will not only be required to meet the demands of your job, it will be essential to thrive in our growing and evolving environment. The level of growth we're enjoying makes working and Par Pacific interesting and the atmosphere entrepreneurial, but it also presents challenges. We all work hard but keep it light as we move with new and evolving demands.