The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for this opportunity you should have:
- At least three years of relevant progressive accounting experience in the month-end close process or completion of two 'busy seasons' if public accounting experience only
- The ability to work the necessary hours to accomplish assigned tasks, especially during month- and quarter-end close process
- Strong project management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including use of pivot tables and VLOOKUP
- A proactive attitude
- SAP experience
- PDI experience
- A combination of public accounting and private industry experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly detail oriented and organized in your workflow
- Fluency in English communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adjust work schedule to accommodate expected and unexpected changes (i.e. month- and year-end, acquisitions, etc.)
The RoleAs the Staff Accountant, you will assist the Senior Accountant, and, in certain circumstances, the Accounting Manager, with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end accounting in the Company’s shared services function.
You will have direct ownership over the Company's consolidated payroll and benefits general ledger processing, including the creation of general ledger reporting, reviewing payroll postings for accuracy, and assisting in integrating new businesses into the Company's current general ledger payroll environment. You will have the ability to work with various contacts in the Human Resources and Payroll departments. Once these tasks are conquered, you will take on additional tasks in the shared services function.
When you are not working on your primary day-to-day activities, you can expect to work on a variety of ad-hoc projects and key initiatives in conjunction with your Manager and the Lead.
More specifically, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Prepare and post journal entries throughout the month for several business processes including payroll and benefits accounting. Ensure that journal entries are properly coded and evidenced by supporting documentation.
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for business processes outlined. Ensure transactions that comprise balances are clearly identified and supported; monthly activity is identified and is appropriate given the nature of the account.
- Collaborate with Senior Accountant and Accounting Manager to provide high-level explanations on financial statement variances for the current month, and current quarter, where applicable.
- Maintain compliance with SOX and provide assistance with internal and external audit requests.
- Prepare various ad hoc reports and statements as requested.
- Assist with various ongoing projects as necessary.
- Provide schedules to the external auditors as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Why Par PacificEmployee value proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many industry experts.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you'll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It's a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Our ongoing strong growth and commitment to continuous improvement mean there is positive change under way. That change can create advancement opportunities for strong performers.
Pictured: Par Pacific's retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will be a quick learner who is curious, proactive and eager to roll up your sleeves. You will need to possess strong multi-tasking and project management skills to thrive in our fast-paced environment. Things can get busy for our team—especially during month- and quarter-end closing times—and we’re looking for a candidate who is ready to get to work and grow your skill set. This is a great role if you don’t want to do the same thing every day, but are keenly aware of deadlines and responsibilities.
You’ll enjoy exposure throughout the organization and the opportunity to leverage your strong communication and relationship building skills to gather the information and financial data you need to get your job done.
- Build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Dedicate yourself to learning our company, goals and processes
- Continually look for improvements
- Stretch and grow your skills, always looking for ways to progress your career and talent