The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Labor Relations / HR Generalist opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional certification (SPHR or PHR) is a plus.
- A broad human resources background equivalent to what would be developed over years of experience.
- 5-8 years of HR Generalist experience.
- Willingness to work with a unionized work force
- Demonstrated competence in recruiting and placement for various level positions.
- Knowledge of professional guidelines in selection procedures, EEO and affirmative action compliance requirements, as well as labor standards and labor relations principals.
- An understanding of basic principles of compensation theory.
- A forward-thinking and strategic approach to HR processes and systems that promotes a climate for change.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state laws in employment, benefits administration and human resource principles and practice.
- Proficiency with MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- The ability to handle confidential and sensitive information discreetly and professionally.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to influence others to effect change.
- A proven ability to build strong working relationships with organizational leaders.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
- Insight into group dynamics.
- A high tolerance for ambiguity and change, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-direction, flexibility and the ability to prioritize work.
The RoleYou will report to and work closely with the Human Resources Manager. The team at the refinery also includes HR specialists in payroll and benefits. You'll work in collaboration with the HR team and leadership to ensure organizational goals are aligned and achieved. You will be responsible for the development and application of fair and consistent selection systems, policies, and programs in the area of salaried and hourly recruitment, human resource planning, compensation, benefits and employee and labor relations.
We'll look to you to lead through influence, working with all levels of the workforce to ensure processes are followed and good faith efforts are achieved. You'll understand and apply principles, concepts, practices and theories to achieve competency in your assigned areas. In addition, you'll actively develop others to maximize skill sets and exceed business objectives.
You will invest a significant portion of your time in managing our relationships with various unions. This will include attending union meetings, coordinating grievances, an ensuring recruiting and other HR activities align with our union agreements.
More specifically, you will:
- Implement and execute key human resources strategies, programs and activities.
- Provide guidance, leadership, training and insight for labor/employee relations functions.
- Administer hiring programs for all exempt and hourly positions.
- Manage onboarding and off-boarding processes.
- Facilitate and/or participate in cross-functional groups to develop key initiatives to improve organizational performance.
- Deliver employee relations services, including counseling, coaching and conflict resolution.
- Prepare draft responses to all grievances after performing research and/or investigation into issues.
- Ensure grievances are handled in a timely manner at all steps and are tracked in the grievance database.
- Prepare grievance matters for arbitration. This will include conducting research and preparing written summaries on other contractual matters, while developing recommendations for the resolution of such issues.
- Coordinate and attend all company/union meetings and ensure that discussions are documented accurately. Coordinate any agreed-upon actions resulting from meetings.
- Develop and deliver HR-related training programs and orientation to employees at all levels within the organization, e.g., hiring/recruitment, harassment prevention, substance abuse, absence control, etc.
- Adopt, participate in and comply with company policies, procedures and safety programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
We know you'll bring a broad HR background, but the diversity of this role should provide opportunities to gain exposure to diverse functional areas and positions. You'll also interact with a variety of people at all levels of the company, and with peers throughout Par Pacific's HR organization.
Strategic and tactical impact
Our HR team is at the forefront of managing significant growth, and you will contribute important initiatives supporting positive change. As a true HR business partner you will work with leaders to help them achieve goals. At the same time, you will keep your hands-on skills sharp as you implement programs, work with data, guide teams and more.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals who love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more. Employees also get discounts on gasoline.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Pictured: At the heart of the logistics network is our refinery in Kapolei, which is the largest in the state.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will derive personal satisfaction from driving results and engaging with others. We place a high value on collaboration, and we'll look to you to promote it across functional lines. You'll need to be comfortable forming ad-hoc teams and have the leadership skills to get team members to work effectively together.
We are refining and implementing processes, driven by both company growth and a continuous improvement mindset. You'll need to be flexible and able to deal with ambiguity yourself, and you should leverage change management skills to help others adapt.
You should bring a collaborative approach to working with people at all levels, treating everyone with sensitivity and respect. We'll look to you to establish yourself as a resource, helping people grow professionally, supporting business objectives and ensuring access to valuable information.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Labor Relations / HR Generalist, you will:
- Demonstrate initiative; for instance, if you have data that suggests an opportunity or issue, you should bring that to the attention of the right people.
- Be willing to get pitch in and help others; you won't hear "It's not my job" in HR.
- Keep your technical skills sharp -- we are paperless in most transactions, so you'll need to be comfortable navigating different systems.
- Bring a strong customer focus and dedication to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Combine an analytical approach with creativity in solving problems.
- Manage multiple activities and priorities effectively in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.