The RequirementsWe are seeking an Enterprise Architect who is comfortable and effective working with diverse virtual teams across a large matrix organization. S/he should demonstrate strong initiative, intellectual integrity and the motivation to achieve long-term results. Success will require a high degree of technical expertise/professional mastery.
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer for any length of time, without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
To be a strong fit for the Enterprise Architect opportunity, you will also have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems, or a related field of study
- 5-7+ years of IT engineering experience in enterprise-level, process driven production environment(s) including platforms, applications, networks, and associated software
- A minimum of 6+ years of architecture experience
- Expert-level knowledge in two or more infrastructure IT Domains required (i.e. Network, Storage, Server, Virtualization, Datacenter)
- Experience in Architecture Frameworks, such as TOGAF and process frameworks (COBIT/ITIL) required
- 5+ years of engineering and architecture experience. Must have experience leading architecture activities in the following technical towers:
- Networking (LAN, WAN, SD-WAN, MPLS, VLAN, Routing, Firewalls, etc.),
- Server Hardware Architecture (Cisco, HP)
- Windows Active Directory
- Virtualization (VMWare, Citrix XenApp)
- Enterprise Storage (Hitachi, Nimble, EMC)
- Backup/Recovery (CommVault, Veeam)
- Email (Microsoft Exchange 2013, Office365)
- Strong proficiency in managing DNS, DFS, SMTP, clustering, DAG
- Well-rounded technical expertise for all infrastructure technologies, such as, but not limited to, cloud computing/cloud services (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, etc.), virtualization, storage platforms, computer infrastructure, and network architecture.
- Strong experience in developing and implementing a cloud strategy
- Experience with automated monitoring systems and technologies, with practical knowledge of MS SCOM, and SCCM, and automated patching procedures
- Experience in system and application performance monitoring
- Ability to collaborate with resources across multiple disciplines
- Ability to design and document complex architecture solutions
- Project management experience (e.g. building project plans, following project plans, reporting, etc.)
- Experience planning and developing support processes and adhering to best practices
- Certifications in Cisco Network Engineering (CCNP); Microsoft, Storage, Virtualization are strongly desired
- Experience architecting solutions in a refinery environment is a bonus (DTN)
- Experience working with offshore teams
- Fortune 500 or large corporation experience; Oil and Gas industry experience a plus
- Ability to accurately assess and understand customer needs and work with a sense of urgency to satisfy those needs within negotiated timeframes
- Skill in translating high-level business and user requirements into functional and quality, specifications with the appropriate level of detail
- Strong analytical skills to critically evaluate information, reconcile conflicts, synthesize low-level information at a higher level and distinguish user requests from true needs, and solution ideas from requirements
- Effective problem-solving and issue resolution capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (writing, summary commentary, etc.), including the ability to build relationships and effectively communicate and influence across all organizational levels
- Highly organized; able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple priorities; flexibility and adaptability; willingness to adjust schedule as appropriate to meet unexpected changes/demands
- Ability to work independently and as a strong team member
Note: reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the IT Director Infrastructure & Security, as Enterprise Architect, you will bring expertise in the design, development and support of enterprise-wide applications, architecture and technology. You will serve as subject matter expert (SME) in multiple IT disciplines, including Networking/Telephony (Cisco); Messaging, Calendaring, Collaboration (Exchange), Virtualization/Cloud, Enterprise Storage (Hitachi, Nimble, EMC), Backup/Recovery (Commvault, Zerto), Databases (SQL, SAP Hana), and Communications (Verizon, Level 3, AT&T, CenturyLink), while also assisting with architect solutions across Infrastructure disciplines. At a high level, your mission will be to help Par move from a primarily hosted environment to an ideal mix of cloud technology and services.
You will work independently as well as collaboratively with the in-house team, which includes your supervisor, a Network Architect/Engineer for Unified Communications, a Senior Infrastructure Architect for Windows, a Conference Room Technology leader and others. Each team member has specific expertise with you being directly responsible for expert in key parts of the infrastructure:
- Cloud Computing Services & Networking Services: Microsoft Azure, AWS, O365 Administration, Backup/Recovery, Disaster Recovery, Cisco routers, switches, firewalls, telephony, voicemail.
- Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, 2012, and 2016 and Suse Linux
- Enterprise Storage Solutions such as SAN Storage (Hitachi), NAS Storage (Nimble, EMC) and private/hybrid/public cloud technologies
- Virtualization Technologies: Citrix, VMWare, Citrix XenApp Server and XenDesktop prefer
- Active Directory: AD, Group Policy, Scripting, Automation
As Enterprise Architect, you will remain up-to-date on current and future IT trends and best practices in order to define IT systems architecture that supports Par Pacific’s business strategy. Your role will be split into two key areas.
- You will architect solutions, linking the business mission, strategy and organizational processes to its IT strategy in your areas of expertise. You will use architectural models that demonstrate how the current and future needs of the organization will be met in an efficient, sustainable, agile and adaptable manner.
- Act as a hands-on keyboard engineer for defined areas of SME responsibility. This involves not only the design aspect of a solution, but in some cases the build element of the project followed by knowledge transfer to operations team members.
- Researching new technologies to solve business problems or enhance the capabilities of the business.
- Creating and enforcing IT architectural guidelines, standards, policies and procedures; mentoring, coaching and educating team members on standard processes, policies and procedures related to enterprise architecture.
- Managing production and pre-production technology systems in a hybrid cloud/datacenter environment including, but not limited to, Active Directory (Directory Services, DFS, DNS, GPO), Monitoring/Alerting (Solarwinds), Citrix, VMWare, Storage platforms (Hitachi, Nimble, EMC), Backup and Recovery Systems (CommVault, Veeam), OS patching (SCCM), etc.
- Driving automation of building systems, deploying applications, patch management, monitoring/alerting, etc.; creating additional automation by scripting repetitive tasks
- Identifying commonalities between business teams and businesses to define and recommend common solutions
- Building for performance, fault tolerance, security and reusable patterns
- Identifying and implementing build vs. buy strategies
- Monitoring and identifying performance trends and working with teams to improve processes and procedures
- Mentoring and coaching team members to expand their awareness of other aspects of the enterprise
- Developing a strategic vision for technology platforms enabling the broader vision for IT and the business
- Partnering with business and technology to deliver roadmaps
- Working with stakeholders to build a holistic view of the organization's strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets
- Researching, analyzing and promoting technology standards to be used across the enterprise
- Participating in strategic projects, acquisitions and internal projects
- Monitoring production systems, responding to (proactively and reactively) and troubleshooting incidents
- Documenting small- to medium-scale projects and delivering presentations with minimal supervision
- Dissecting complex situations and refocusing on critical technology tasks; facilitating problem-solving across a strong team
- Maintaining the processes and documentation necessary to manage colo data centers across North America
Pictured: One of Par Pacific’s operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It’s part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts. You will directly interact with key players throughout our business, and will have many opportunities to learn and grow your skill across platforms, as well as in various aspects of people and project management.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
Professional growth with a strong mentor
You'll enjoy the autonomy to excel alongside strong mentorship and support from your supervisor. He'll help you succeed today and set yourself up for further success in the future.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
We have a relatively new and growing team of energetic people helping to build out IT. We have developed positive relationships with each other, and the whole team is ready to help each other rise. On the other hand, we all take ownership of our responsibilities and maintain a commitment to meeting goals and objectives. The environment is both collegial and productive.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you’ll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It’s a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies. Ongoing acquisitions create new and interesting challenges for the IT team.
Pictured: Par Pacific’s retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo fit our team and culture, you'll be a self-motivated individual who takes ownership of your responsibilities from inception to completion, effectively meeting deadlines and providing top-quality work. You'll know how to prioritize and re-prioritize, and respond with a sense of urgency where appropriate.
In addition, to be an outstanding Enterprise Architect, you will:
- Be a results-oriented individual requiring minimal supervision, but willing to reach out and ask questions when needed
- Frequently anticipate problems and analyze ways to mitigate risk
- Quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Work to gain credibility by acting with integrity, promoting trust and respect within the project teams and continually managing change across the affected business unit
- Leverage clear communication skills to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences/people
- Be transparent in your efforts
- Maintain a commitment to knowledge gain to rapidly learn and take advantage of new concepts, business models, and technologies
- Bring energy, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude