The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have:
- Authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer for any length of time, without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical or Environmental Engineering or equivalent scientific degree. A relevant Master’s Degree is also desirable.
- A minimum five years relevant experience in an industrial environment, preferably in petroleum refining (power experience or pulp / paper industry experience could also be a fit). Technical experience in air compliance. Prior experience in source testing, instrument or CEMS maintenance or air pollution control or modeling would be beneficial.
- A demonstrated record of working with State and Federal regulators or industry associations (such API or AFPM) is desirable.
- Proven writing skills and the ability to bring examples of written reports and business correspondence.
- The ability to function effectively within tight deadlines, prioritize work, and provide appropriate feedback on progress of projects.
- Must be technically and mechanically oriented with strong attention to detail.
- Professional registration desirable.
- Proven computer skills and the ability to learn new systems and programs.
- Working knowledge of personal computer programs in word processing, spreadsheet (Excel), and database software, as well as have Internet skills .
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Frequent walking, standing, and sitting required. Must be able to reach overhead, squat, kneel, climb and grasp. Must be able to lift light, medium, and heavy objects. Must have 20/40 vision or better, have depth perception, full field, and able to distinguish colors as required to perform duties.
Note: reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The RoleReporting to the Environmental Director, as an Environmental Engineer at our Hawaii refinery, you will be responsible for the implementation of assigned aspects of regulatory compliance, particularly in managing Federal and State programs as they relate to refinery operations and its associated facilities.
You will be responsible for a variety of activities including taking ownership of compliance and reporting obligations, doing calculations, collecting data, assisting with audits and much more. This is a visible role where you will collaborate with a variety of stakeholders including Operations, Process Engineering and others to integrate compliance procedures into the field.
You’ll join a talented team that includes several other Environmental Engineers and Compliance Specialists.
More specifically, your essential job duties will be to:
- Manage assigned environmental compliance projects to ensure the Company’s environmental exposures are eliminated or mitigated in a timely and cost-effective manner, commensurate with the risk.
- Support all aspects of the refinery's RCRA and solid waste program. Prepare the waste min report.
- Arrange, track and document shipment of all recyclable material and wastes. Use generator knowledge and/or has analytical procedures conducted to determine the characterization of a waste. Prepares the bi-annual report
- Ensure that all regulatory mandated monitoring devices are functional and being properly maintained, and ensure that Quality Assurance Programs are being implemented and adequately documented. Provide oversight for all CEMS and DAHS activities. Prepare excess emissions and monitor equipment downtime reports. Work closely with other functional groups (such as the Instrument Shop) to assist in the troubleshooting of DMD and CEMS deficiencies by recommending and evaluating various Quality Assurance Tests.
- Responsible for ensuring the tank farm is in compliance with applicable air regulations including but not limited to NSPS Subpart K, Refinery Mact, the Title V permit and any applicable consent decree conditions.Provides leadership and conducts regulatory required tank inspections. Secure permits for modification and/or additions to the tank farm.
- Calculate tank emissions for various reports, including the Title V annual emission reports, Air Toxics Report and SARA313. Develop cost effective means of reducing tank emissions.
- Responsible for completing the Hazardous Material Inventory also known as SARA312.
- As a member of cross-functional teams, contribute to the continuous improvement of the Company’s management of its compliance issues by being a liaison between the various operating departments and regulatory authorities. Selectively lead and contribute to environmental incident review and improvement process.
- Share responsibility for release reporting responsibilities and play a critical role on emergency response team, especially as a member of the Environment Unit on Oil Response Team.
- Support implementation and maintenance of effective compliance programs with emphasis on providing regulatory interpretation of existing and proposed regulations.
- Direct and oversee many of the field related inspections conducted by Operations, Maintenance and Environmental technicians. For example, ensure that monthly opacity checks are conducted by Environmental Technician and that the flare is continuously monitored by Operations for smoke, the presence of a flame and good combustion efficiency.
- Define regulatory requirements and provide compliance guidance for Operations. Write procedures, establish guidelines, create checklists and audit electronic and hard copy records to ensure compliance with Title V permit and other regulatory mandates. Support the investigation of permit deviations and implementation of corrective measures. Calculate excess emissions and prepares permit deviation reports.
- Monitor due dates for assigned aspects of the environmental compliance program and prepare necessary compliance reports and facilitates submittal to agencies as required.
- Participate in audits for assigned aspects of compliance programs.
- Lead or share lead responsibility for all air emissions calculations, including but not limited to criteria pollutants, air toxics and GHG for various state and federal reporting requirements. Able to run emission estimating software (and in-house spreadsheets) and has a firm understanding of the principals upon which these packages are based.
- Responsible for air emission calculations, including but not limited to criteria pollutants, air toxics and GHG for various state and federal reporting requirements.Able to run emission estimating software (and in-house spreadsheets) and has a firm understanding of the principals upon which these packages are based.
- Share in supervision of the Environmental Technicians and help coordinate their work efforts.
- Provide training to other refinery personnel pertaining to assigned aspects of compliance program, particularly in regards to solid waste and spill training.
- Assist in development of department budget as appropriate.
- Stay current with applicable and pending regulations, and provide long lead time and pland for future compliance.
- Participate in agency and company audits for assigned aspects of compliance programs.
- Understand related regulatory compliance issues such as OPA90 and RCRA.
- Monitor due dates for assigned aspects of the environmental compliance program, prepare necessary compliance reports and facilitate submittal to agencies as required.
- As needed, collect multi-media samples and conduct routine inspection and field audits.
- Prepare and submit work order notifications into SAP and other systems.
- Perform other duties and special assignments as necessary.
More Good ReasonsExciting Growth Environment
This is a key plant and we’re experiencing exciting growth. All eyes are on this refinery as leadership looks to optimize its performance. We will be installing a new process unit that will be a significant refinery expansion for us.
Employee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, premier market position, and integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many industry experts.
By showcasing a combination of your environmental science skills and the ability to deliver your responsibilities accurately and on time, you will be in a strong position to build a career here at Par Pacific. Ours is a growing company, including strong growth in Hawaii.
Stability and longevity
Par is one of the largest companies in Hawaii, and with our strong growth, we have a stable organization. The Kapolei refinery alone has 250 fulltime employees, and we’re looking for more great team members who want to build a steady career here.
In addition to a competitive wage, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; and more.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you will fit right in!
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will need the energy and drive to take ownership of your responsibilities, determining what needs to be done and doing it without needing a great deal of guidance. You should be a proactive self-starter who is safety driven and takes pride in accuracy / compliance and a job well done. You will also need to manage the flow of the role, identifying areas for environmental process improvements and sharing your ideas with leadership.
In addition, to be an outstanding Environmental Engineer, you will:
- Gain a strong understanding of our business and how your actions contribute to company performance.
- Complete your assignments with optimal results.
- Demonstrate operational excellence through planning, organizing and paying attention to detail.
- Build relationships, influence and work well with others through effective communication and collaboration.
- Demonstrate commitment, adaptability, flexibility and resilience.