The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Human Resources Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional certification (SPHR or PHR) is a plus.
- Solid and broad human resources experience, including employee relations, recruitment, comp & benefits, policies & procedures, performance management, etc.
- A proven ability to manage process and culture change.
- Strong business savvy and the ability to influence the decision-making process.
- Project management skills.
- A general understanding of employment law.
- The ability to handle confidential and sensitive information discreetly and professionally.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Word, Excel and Outlook, and familiarity with enterprise HRIS applications.
- Supervisory experience is preferred but not required.
- Some knowledge of payroll would be a plus.
- Solid leadership skills, a strong personality and willingness to stand your ground.
- Initiative and the ability to achieve goals independently.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to think strategically along with willingness to roll up your sleeves to achieve goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
The RoleReporting to a Regional HR Manager, you will provide leadership to a small office administration staff. You will assume responsibility for all human resources activities and programs for this business unit, supporting a variety of functional areas, including operations, engineering, transportation, accounting, IT and more.
Key objectives will include:
- Driving cultural change by implementing policies & procedures, coaching and mentoring leaders, building relationships with employees and more.
- Ensuring alignment of HR initiatives with corporate objectives as well as with local business objectives.
- Partnering with leadership in fostering and sustaining a high-performance work culture with an outstanding safety record.
- Executing key strategies, programs and activities in all areas of HR across the business unit.
- Develop programs and activities that enhance employee engagement maximize productivity.
- Provide information, advice and assistance to leadership regarding application of policies, procedures and relevant regulations.
- Manage employee relations issues, including conducting investigations and leading parties to mutually acceptable resolution.
- Oversee recruitment and onboarding activities.
- Administer compensation and benefits and make recommendations for change or improvement.
- And more.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
While we know you will broad experience, there will be plenty to learn in this diverse role -- no two days will be the same. You will interact with people at all levels of the business unit as well as with HR professionals in other locations. Success in this role could set you up to pursue a variety of career paths in our organization.
Ownership and impact
As the "face" of HR for this business unit, you will be able to make your mark as you manage positive change, promote solid employee relations and support business goals. The role will allow you to make both strategic and tactical impacts.
Great HR team
You will share ideas and insights with a positive, collaborative HR team, and ongoing growth is adding excitement to a high-energy environment. Your challenge will be to ensure that excitement comes through as you drive change.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production to delivery. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals who love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid vacation plus paid time off; a 401(k) with company match; retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more. Employees also get discounts on gasoline.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
Keys to SuccessThis business unit includes operations personnel who are more focused on getting the job done than they are on worrying about niceties. If you are coming from a more corporate environment, you may need to make an adjustment. First, you should be comfortable with strong language while working in production areas.
Second, you will meet with resistance as you drive change, and there are strong personalities throughout the business. You'll need to use your influencing skills to help people get on board with the changes and see how those changes can benefit them. Often times a collaborative approach will work well, but you also should be willing to stand your ground as necessary. You'll use your common sense in picking your battles.
As with all HR positions, you'll need to "walk the tightrope" as you support business objectives while also promoting employee satisfaction. To excel in the role you will be proactive about establishing yourself as a decisive leader who is not afraid to speak up. Just as you will need to influence employees, you will need to drive business leaders to execute.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding HR Manager, you will:
- Inspire trust and confidence so that employees are comfortable approaching you.
- Remain willing to roll up your sleeves to achieve goals as a working manager.
- Remain flexible and deal effectively with ambiguity as we continue to grow and evolve.
- Manage multiple activities and changing priorities effectively.
- Combine an analytical approach with creativity in solving problems.
- Keep close tabs on the details but also grasp the bigger picture.
About NewcastleWestern Gateway to the Black Hills
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. The downtown historic district is listed with the National Registry of Historic Places, and it helps preserve the Western culture that residents love.
If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle. The town sits between Black Hills National Forest and Thunder Basin National Grassland. And you don't have to go that far to get into the wild. Outdoor recreation includes fishing, golf, hiking and camping, caves and cave tours, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, rock and ice climbing, and more.
There are great walking trails that encompass historic sites as well as wildlife viewing. There's a beautiful new aquatic center (indoors, of course), seasonal rodeos, museums and more here in town. If you don't mind driving a bit, you can make a day trip to see Mt. Rushmore or the Crazy Horse Memorial, or view dinosaur fossils at the Museum at Black Hills Institute. Just about any direction you head, there are scenic highways and byways.
Newcastle restaurants range from a good old-fashioned diner to Italian to steakhouses. There's plenty of music to be heard, from the Black Hills symphony in Rapid City to the Black Hills Bluegrass festival in Strugs.
Pictured: Newcastle's historic Main Street, as well as a shot of open country on the outskirts.