The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer for any length of time, without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a strong fit for the Senior Network Engineer opportunity, you will also have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field of study; an advanced degree is an advantage
- 7+ years of Network Architecture/Engineering experience in specific technical specialty (Cisco Network Hardware, Cisco Voice (CUCM 11.x), Unity Voice Mail and emerging technologies)
- 3+ years in a senior-level role
- Design, build, implementation, and troubleshooting of complex networks
- Network analysis with packet capturing tools
- Wireless networking and the ability to support voice and video applications
- Larger WAN deployments, MPLS, BGP and BGP-MP
- ISP Technical support teams to resolve WAN circuit issues
- Remote network administration, configuration and troubleshooting
- Planning and developing support processes and adhering to best practices
- Switching – Expert in VLANs, Spanning Tree, Port Channels, VPC
- Switches – Cisco Catalyst 1941, 2850, 2960 3850, etc.
- Wireless LAN – Expert in Meraki or other wireless access point technology (MR42, etc.)
- Wireless WAN – Remote Branch Wireless Backup (4GLTE)
- WAN – Experience in optimization, complex MPLS/BGP WAN design, build and implementation
- Data CenterArchitecture and Design Capabilities
- Product Expertise in Cisco NEXUS 5000
- Consolidated I/O, Fibre Channel
- Application Delivery – F5
- Load Balancing, SSL/HTTP offload
- Application Network troubleshooting and Discovery skills
- TCP/IP packet analysis
- Knowledge of WAN/LAN/Firewall/Wireless and Voice communications best practices
- Knowledge of network routing protocols and their use in highly redundant environments
- Detailed Layer 1 through 7 knowledge
- Knowledge of traffic flow analysis; packet analysis skills
- Cisco VoIP (CUCM, Unity, Unity CXN, IPCC, Telepresence)
- Instant Messaging (Cisco Jabber)
- Mobility and Wireless (Cisco Meraki)
- Network Monitoring and Tools (SolarWinds)
- Oil and Gas Industry experience
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Cisco or Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Certification
- Experience with large network environments (more than 500 employees)
- Experience working with both onshore and offshore teams
- Exceptional conceptual thinking and analysis skills
- Effective presentation, influencing and negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to collaborate with peers and clients
- Flexibility to meet demands; support the network and ad ; a strong commitment to meeting deadlines
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and divide focus among many different projects
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the IT Director and working in concert with another network engineer, as Senior Network Engineer, you will be the subject matter expert for architecting, building, implementing, testing, and troubleshooting Par enterprise network on the mainland and in Hawaii. Your mission will be to ensure that we continually evolve a scalable and secure network in support of common business applications and corporate goals and objectives. In order to meet your responsibilities, you will lead and mentor both onshore and offshore team members in the lifecycle support of the network and associated management systems, while working with operations teams to improve system availability and efficiencies.
Daily, you will lead the design and implementation of architecture for proposals and/or projects to build or enhance enterprise networks with 100+ sites and over 1,000 users. You, and your direct report, will provide operational support for the Par Pacific infrastructure, drive high levels of quality into the network as a reliable foundation for business application infrastructure, and assist with implementation of network design standards on various WAN, LAN, Security and Data Center Projects as they relate to SOX, PCI, ITIL/Cobit.
More specifically, you will:
- Analyze, design, install, configure, maintain and repair network infrastructure, including coverage for both the mainland and Hawaii.
- Maximize network performance by monitoring and troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades, collaborating with network architects on network optimization.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of LAN and regional implementations.
- Provide network systems securities through policy enforcement and monitoring access.
- Report network operational status and complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the basics behind the internet and its workings (DNS, Security, IP Routing, HTTP, VPN, Email Routing, SPAM, etc.).
- Configure and setup firewalls, VPN concentrators and security appliances for access to vital business applications.
- Monitor, setup and configure complex switching environments as assigned.
- Assist in the design of multi-server environments including IP address schemes, DNS, EtherChannel (bonding), etc.
- Provide technical assistance and support for both internal and external parties.
- Troubleshoot network hardware and software applications, OS upgrades, and security systems to resolve operational issues and to restore services.
- Support voice and video applications.
- Resolve WAN circuit issues.
- Develop scalable, reliable network architecture designs (from conception to implementation), study and plan; provide build services, test readiness, network support, and operational readiness reviews.
- Develop, implement, and manage network engineering processes including configuration management and design standards to ensure compliance, relevancy, and sustainability.
- Provide Tier III/IV support by providing trouble resolution of the network infrastructure and perform on-call duties and off-hours support when needed.
- Identify and mitigate risks of introducing architecture technology enhancements.
- Ensure deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Work with other teams to detect, analyze and capture data that identifies performance issues.
Pictured: One of Par Pacific’s operations is the largest and most complex refinery in Hawaii, on Oahu. It’s part of an integrated statewide logistics system that includes 8 terminals, 3 barges and 27 miles of pipeline.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts. You will directly interact with key players throughout our business, and will have many opportunities to learn and grow your skill across platforms, as well as in various aspects of people and project management.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit, retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
Professional growth with a strong mentor
You'll enjoy the autonomy to excel alongside strong mentorship and support from your supervisor. He'll help you succeed today and set yourself up for further success in the future. Additionally, you will work alongside a 3rd-party consultant when you first join us, who will help you learn our processes and equipment.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you’ll fit right in!
We have a relatively new and growing team of energetic people helping to build out IT. We have developed positive relationships with each other, and the whole team is ready to help each other rise. On the other hand, we all take ownership of our responsibilities and maintain a commitment to meeting goals and objectives. The environment is both collegial and productive.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The office where you’ll work is located in the Memorial City area of Houston, near the Memorial City Mall. It’s a vibrant area of the city with plenty of places for lunch or to wind down after work. We also have lots of free parking.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies. Ongoing acquisitions create new and interesting challenges for the IT team.
We are making an award-winning impact on the Oil & Gas Market. In fact, the Houston Chronicle ranked Par Pacific as #8 on the annual Chronicle 100 list of top performing companies powering Houston's economy in 2017! Companies were ranked by performance criteria reflecting stock performance, revenue growth and total revenue.
Pictured: Par Pacific’s retail operations offer gasoline and other petroleum products in Hawaii under a new local brand, Hele, as well as the Union 76 and Tesoro brands. We operate 91 stores on five islands.
Keys to SuccessTo fit our team and culture, you'll be a self-motivated individual who takes ownership of your responsibilities from inception to completion, effectively meeting deadlines and providing top-quality work. You'll know how to prioritize and re-prioritize, and respond with a sense of urgency where appropriate, as well as flex your schedule as needed to meet demands. For example, there is a good deal of off hour activity as we work to build more structure.
Naturally, your technical expertise will anchor your success, but you will also need the ability to envision the roadmap and strategy around the infrastructure you'll help define and develop, as well as establish standards and best practices. In addition, to be an outstanding Senior Network Engineer, you will:
- Be a results-oriented individual requiring minimal supervision, but willing to reach out and ask questions when needed
- Frequently anticipate problems and analyze ways to mitigate risk
- Quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Work to gain credibility by acting with integrity, promoting trust and respect within the project teams and continually managing change across the affected business unit
- Leverage clear communication skills to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences/people
- Be transparent in your efforts
- Maintain a commitment to knowledge gain to rapidly learn and take advantage of new concepts, business models, and technologies
- Bring energy, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude