The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Refinery Process Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering; Chemical Engineering preferred
- 2+ years of experience at Petroleum refinery, chemical plant or refinery experience is preferred but we welcome fresh graduates looking to expand their skill sets
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Familiarity with Aspen HYSYS or other process simulation software
- Proficiency with MS Office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders and cross-functional project teams throughout the refinery
- Ability to be on-call work during off-hours, especially for emergencies and turnarounds
The RoleThis is an individual contributor role, reporting to the Senior Engineer as you join our Newcastle refinery. Your mission is to provide engineering support, ensuring process unit reliability, and evaluating day-to-day process unit performance. Specifically, your responsibilities will be to:
- Manage projects ranging in size from several thousand to several millions of dollars.
- Design Refinery systems based on sound engineering principles; perform feasibility and economic studies, complete cost estimates, determine project specifications, prepare construction documents, and oversee project execution.
- Size various pieces of Refinery equipment including instrumentation, control valves, relief valves, pumps, exchangers, and vessels; obtain quotes and order equipment.
- Create, update, and maintain process flow diagrams (PFD’s) and piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Support start-up, shut-down, troubleshooting, and optimization of process units.
- Identify short and long-term process improvement opportunities which will enhance unit performance and/or improve profitability.
- Monitor process unit “health” acting upon key performance indicators.
- Program and update Refinery’s distributed control system (DCS); tune controllers as required.
- Create and update Refinery process unit simulations using Aspen HYSYS (or similar software); use simulation to make recommendations for operational improvements.
- Maintain strict adherence to all safety and environmental policies.
- Perform any and all other duties as required.
Why Par Pacific
Employee Value Proposition: Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, premier market position, and integrated business systems. “Growth” is the operative word here and we are looking for high impact players who can take on larger roles and responsibilities and continue to grow with our organization.
Empowerment: We'll entrust you with the freedom and flexibility to drive process improvements to meet our refinery objectives and achieve success.
Unique Culture: There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, innovative entrepreneurial professional infused with a spirit of continuous improvement…If this describes you, you'll fit right in!
Excellent compensation: In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; a 401(k) with company match; a robust paid-time-off and vacation benefit (9/80 schedule where you enjoy every other Friday off) retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; gym membership allowance, and more.
Keys to SuccessWhile your success in this role will stem from a strong sense of ownership, not needing a permission slip to infuse fresh perspective and drive continuous improvement, it will also very much depend on the relationships you build--both internally and externally--and you will call upon the following skills:
- Interpersonal savvy -- you'll rely on the cooperation of diverse personalities to achieve your objectives, and this will require the ability to be outgoing and effectively interact with a wide range of stakeholders—from planners to customers--with tact and diplomacy, setting clear expectations and knowing when to push back and say "no" and when to escalate situations beyond your control.
- Flexibility -- this is a multifunctional role and you’ll be able to manage multiple projects in various stages of completion and drive them each to resolution while remaining adaptive and ready to shift priorities as the need arises.
- Forward thinking -- you’ll take a creative approach to solving problems as you proactively control situations ahead of time--rather than simply reacting to them--and bring new and innovative ideas to the table to make our refinery systems more robust and failure proof.
About NewcastleWestern Gateway to the Black Hills
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. The downtown historic district is listed with the National Registry of Historic Places, and it helps preserve the Western culture that residents love.
If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle. The town sits between Black Hills National Forest and Thunder Basin National Grassland. And you don't have to go that far to get into the wild. Outdoor recreation includes fishing, golf, hiking and camping, caves and cave tours, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, rock and ice climbing, and more.
There are great walking trails that encompass historic sites as well as wildlife viewing. There's a beautiful new aquatic center (indoors, of course), seasonal rodeos, museums and more here in town. If you don't mind driving a bit, you can make a day trip to see Mt. Rushmore or the Crazy Horse Memorial, or view dinosaur fossils at the Museum at Black Hills Institute. Just about any direction you head, there are scenic highways and byways.
Newcastle restaurants range from a good old-fashioned diner to Italian to steakhouses. There's plenty of music to be heard, from the Black Hills symphony in Rapid City to the Black Hills Bluegrass festival in Strugs.
Pictured: Newcastle's historic Main Street, as well as a shot of open country on the outskirts.