The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Lab Technician opportunity, you will have:
- Bachelor of Science or equivalent work experience in a laboratory setting.
- Ability to understand ASTM standards and procedures.
- Must be able to work with all chemical, petrochemical, and petroleum products.
- Must have flexible schedule as position will include evenings, weekend and holidays, based on customer need.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, while directing numerous projects concurrently with different deadlines.
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, both internally and externally.
- High level of accuracy is required, with special attention to details.
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, reach – fully use the laboratory
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, and on occasion more
- 20/40 vision (with or without corrective lenses), hearing ability
- Willingness to wear safety equipment (e.g. safety glasses, earplugs, steel-toed boots, hard hat), as required
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to the Lab Manager, you will part of a ten person in the lab that runs 24/7/365, including a chemist and 7 other lab technicians who worked their way up in the company and into the lab. We run two twelve hour shifts -- 6 to 6, which rotate. You will participate in all lab testing, including specialized testing such as government fuel and the Quality Assurance Program.
On a daily basis, you will be responsible for analysis and reporting of various products, such as Crude Oil, Fuel Oils, Middle Distillates, Petroleum and Petrochemicals, LPG and LNG gases, etc. More specifically, you will:
- Responsible for conducting laboratory analysis.
- Understand and keep current with all laboratory safety and reporting techniques.
- Complete all laboratory reports as applicable.
- Understand and keep current with all laboratory analysis methods.
- Responsible for the maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Note: This description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and other general responsibilities.
More Good ReasonsEmployee Value Proposition
Par Pacific is a growing energy company that provides more opportunity and career growth potential because of our ambition, entrepreneurial mindset, our premier market position, and our integrated business systems.
Working at Par Pacific is different. Because Par is a smaller energy company, employees have the opportunity to make a great impact on the business and to influence decisions. People truly have amazing careers at Par because they are exposed to all areas of the company and are connected to many of the industry experts.
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific – an unorthodox niche player in the energy space that drives operations from production-to-delivery. And there’s certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. If you’re at Par, you’re a driven, creative-thinking, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professional that loves to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in!
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive compensation, we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical and dental insurance; life and AD&D insurance; retirement savings plans; employee assistance programs; and more. In addition, we provide safety glasses, Nomex flame resistant coveralls, earplugs, gloves, steel toe shoes, hard hats and respirators as needed.
About NewcastleWestern Gateway to the Black Hills
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. You'll work in Newcastle, the county seat of Weston County, which offers the neighborly culture you'd expect in a small town. We're proud of our great schools, low cost of living, and even lower cost of housing. The downtown historic district is listed with the National Registry of Historic Places, and it helps preserve the Western culture that residents love.
If you love the outdoor life, there aren't too many places to beat Newcastle. The town sits between Black Hills National Forest and Thunder Basin National Grassland. And you don't have to go that far to get into the wild. Outdoor recreation includes fishing, golf, hiking and camping, caves and cave tours, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, rock and ice climbing, and more.
There are great walking trails that encompass historic sites as well as wildlife viewing. There's a beautiful new aquatic center (indoors, of course), seasonal rodeos, museums and more here in town. If you don't mind driving a bit, you can make a day trip to see Mt. Rushmore or the Crazy Horse Memorial, or view dinosaur fossils at the Museum at Black Hills Institute. Just about any direction you head, there are scenic highways and byways.
Newcastle restaurants range from a good old-fashioned diner to Italian to steakhouses. There's plenty of music to be heard, from the Black Hills symphony in Rapid City to the Black Hills Bluegrass festival in Strugs.
Pictured: Newcastle's historic Main Street, as well as a shot of open country on the outskirts.